Bonus: Hawkings Ever After (4)

Three years after Eli and Travis' engagement and wedding, the couple sat in the crowd of one of Jonas' title fights. One of the most important ones so everyone rallied together.  The Kings, Travis and Jaiden had been best friends for seven years now, and always rallied together with their loved ones. 

The only one who wasn't in attendance for this fight was Jaiden. He had started traveling right after high school, but when he turned 19, he started to become a little distant from the group.  He never told them exactly what he was doing or where he was.  When he would visit them, he would be vague about his life and would often change the subject.  But he looked healthy and happy, so they didn't pressure him too much about it.

It was six months before Jonas' fight when Jaiden forced them all on a video call.  He had drank a little too much and was talking rapidly in Spanish. They didn't even know he could speak Spanish.  They finally got him to switch languages after some creative curses from Hugh. 

"Mira...  I know how fucking corrupt those cops were at home, but the law enforcement life kind of fell on top of me."

Jonas laughed.  "What the hell does that mean?"

Jaiden rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm a cop... well, was a cop for the last five years here in New Mexico.  I kind of got promoted today.  You're now looking at one of the youngest detectives in Las Cruces."

He blushed fiercely, and looked away from the computer, a little frightened to see what their reactions would be.  Hawkings have had far too many negative experiences with cops.  But despite his trepidation the group erupted with cheers.  They were excited that Jaiden finally decided to open up, but also felt comfort that someone like Jaiden was out there with a badge. They trusted him to be honorable.  Still, it was also almost unbelievable that he became a detective at his age.  He must have been working non-stop to be able to get promoted.  

After years of keeping a distance because of his profession, he finally started to tell them about life in New Mexico. He arrived there at the age of 19, and just couldn't bear to leave.  He seemed to have fallen under the care of his mentor, Carlos, and his wife Valeria.  They took him in and helped him through his career.  Carlos was already a seasoned detetive and was not only his mentor, but a father figure. Jaiden tended to brag non-stop about Carlos, obviously proud of the man who took him in.  

He and the others stayed up well into the night, talking about Jaiden's career, and he would happily relay some of the interesting cases he had seen.  They could see the pride he had for the job he did.  The only downside for him was that he hated the uniform, but now he no longer had to wear it as a detective.

The group was happy for him, proud that he had found a direction and people to support him.

Despite his busy workload, he would never miss a fight and would always cheer from afar. He would send constant messages so there never seemed too much distance between them anymore.

In fact, after seven years of friendship, they all seemed closer than ever.

Eli and Travis, Rodgers and Lucy, Sam and Emilia, Millan and Robin.  This large group sat together with Hugh and Brett, rallying together in order to cheer on Jonas as he defended his belt against his newest opponent.

Jaiden was in Las Cruces, stuck working a case but was still tuning into the fight.  They all cheered when Jonas landed a heavy right hook two minutes into the second round, and his opponent was out cold. A perfect KO. Hugh and Brett rushed into the octagon the moment they raised Jonas' hand.

A text message came in to the group.

Jaiden: Fucking beautiful hit!

Everyone responded to him, wishing him well and telling them how they missed him.