Chapter 43

Jonas finally calmed down Travis and helped him sit back down with the others.  Loud footsteps echoed in the hall and they all saw the large Chuck running down the hall, frightening anyone in the way.  He locked eyes with Jonas and within moments, Jonas was practically tackled.

"Son, are you ok? How's Eli?"  He asked, anxiety coursing through him.

Jonas felt his breath hitch while in the hug. Chuck always had a connection with and given him the affection a father would have, especially this last year. Part of him hated fate that made him a Spencer and not a Lappel.

"The doctors are still examining Eli." He didn't answer Chuck's first question because he had no idea how to answer. He was an emotional wreck.

Chuck didn't push him and just patted his back in a comforting way. He saw Hugh next to him with red eyes and he quickly pulled the boy over to be part of the hug. The man was big enough to still overwhelm the two in his arms.

He let go of them when more footsteps approached and Jonas was soon overwhelmed by two small redheads. "Hey Princess. Hi Lily."

He gave Alex an appreciative nod who was already releasing Hugh from an embrace.

He put Lucy down carefully and planted a small kiss on the top of her head. "Thank you guys for coming."

Lily gave him a small smile. "We will always be here when you need us." She pulled his large body down so she can kiss his cheek. Hugh reached out and intertwined his fingers with Jonas' and lightly caressed his hand with his thumb.

They all jerked when the doors of the room open and the large group gathered around Jonas. An older man with a tired look on his face saw Jonas and sighed. "Jonas, although I am thrilled you are not laying in that bed tonight, I am still upset seeing a Spencer boy here."

His friends gave Jonas a questioning glance, wondering what the doctor meant by his comment.

Jonas smiled weakly. "Hey Doc. How is he?"

The doctor looked at the group and raised and eyebrow. Jonas looked around. "We're family."

He snorted a little. "Really?"

Jonas chuckled. "They're the closest family we have, Doc."

He sighed and rubbed his temples. "Considering Eli has been your only visitor in the past, I'll take your word for it."

He looked at his clipboard. "First of all, he's going to be fine." He allowed time for the collective sigh from the group. "But he has some recovery time. He suffered from a fractured skull, cracked orbital bone, two broken ribs, and his left hand was fractured as well. He has lost a lot of blood from the various injuries on his body that were left unattended, so to be safe and to avoid complications we'll do a transfusion. Luckily I already know you're a match."

Jonas nodded. "Should we get started now?"

He started to take off his jacket when the doctor led him to the room. Jonas faltered when he saw the unconscious Eli with tubes everywhere. The familiar beeping from the heart monitor was the only sound in the dimly lit room. Jonas noticed the transfusion station next to a couch adjacent to the bed. He walked over to it the bed and brushed back Eli's hair with care, trying to absorb the peculiar feeling of being the one visiting and not laying in the bed.

He had been in the hospital far too many times because fractured and broken bones were the norm for him. Most of the time, it was because of the beatings from his father and he never bothered to visit Jonas. The hospital staff had become very familiar with Jonas and the types of injuries he sustained. However, in the many years he had been laying in their beds, they had never seen Jonas' parents. They only knew that someone was taking care of him because the hospital bill was always paid.