Chapter 7

Travis worked diligently on Jonas' hair, giving him a nice and clean quiff style. The top was still long, but at least stayed out of his grey eyes. It was much different from his old style, but it really fit him. Travis had to sigh while observing his work.

Jonas ran his hair through the top. "Feels nice."

Hugh jumped in front of him and held his chin, moving his face to check out the cut. "Looks sick. You have your ears pierced?" His eyes noticed the small holes on his ear.

When Jonas nodded, Hugh ran into the room and came back with an earring. It was a long chain, very similar to the one he was wearing. He moved close and looped it in Jonas' ear, his fingers brushing on Jonas' neck. Jonas suppressed a satisfied noise escaping from his lips from the touch. But it was getting difficult because Hugh's touches were like electricity.

Jonas ran his hand against the chain now hanging from his ear. "Gifting me jewelry now?"

Hugh winked. "Anything for you sweetheart."

They hung around the table for a while and ate their dinner. It was a peaceful night and Jonas was relieved after learning more about his new friends. Perhaps they would not end up like his last group of friends.

He was contemplating his new situation while lying in bed, his arms behind his head.

"Are you asleep?" Hugh asked from across the room. His position mirrored Jonas'. The lights were out in the room and there was only a soft glow from Jonas' lamp.

"Yup."

Hugh snorted with laughter. "I gotta know... How did Jonas Spencer become the Wolf of St. Vincent's."

Jonas sucked in a breath of cold air and clenched his jaw. Hugh heard the  tense noise and sighed lightly. "I don't know what happened in the past. I'm just curious. It doesn't make me change my feelings for you, sweetheart."

Jonas chuckled when he heard the 'sweetheart' part. He normally kept his words concise, even with Travis and the others. But somehow Hugh that made him comfortable. More of himself slipped out.

"How did you figure it out?"

Hugh shrugged. "I may have overheard some teachers."

Jonas sighed. "They're scared of me. Most people are once they realize who I am."

Hugh laughed. "I'm not. I don't see anything scary about you."

"You're not exactly the most normal person."

Hugh grinned under the low light of the lamp. "Mad Dog and the Wolf. I quite like the sound of that. If St. Vincent's knew we were rooming together, they would shit a brick."

Jonas ran his hand through his hair. "They definitely would.  I didn't pay too much attention about Hawkings last year for obvious reasons, but I know that you terrorized them as much as I did."

Hugh chuckled. "I only gave them a little of what they deserved. I still feel that it's not enough. Especially now."

"Now?"

Hugh turned and faced Jonas. "You said the story at lunch was bullshit and there were missing pieces. So what did that shithole school do to make you become the Wolf?"

"You're not letting this go." Jonas sighed.

"You can trust me, but I won't force you." Hugh said softly.  At that moment, looking into his pure green eyes, Jonas knew he could confide in him.

"My anger got the best of me. Last year, I really almost killed another kid. They all said he was lucky to survive, and I was lucky I wasn't charged with attempted murder. Shit like that changes you and people's impressions of you."