Chapter 12

The next morning, Jonas woke up with a worn out body. His panic attack stripped him of all energy. He stretched himself a little and then felt an unfamiliar sensation. He was laying on something warm and hard. He looked up and saw that he was intertwined with Hugh, and his face was nestled on his chest.

He couldn't help but let his lips curl upwards but forced himself up.

Hugh moaned. "No, stay."

"As much as I want to, I need to go somewhere." Jonas started to get out of the bed and stopped. "If you're up for a quick run, you can join me."

"Seriously, all you do it work out." Hugh grumbled but got up as well. They both snuck out of the dorm and Jonas let led way down several streets before he stopped in front of a flower shop.

Hugh raised an eyebrow and was about to make a joke, but something about Jonas was somber so he stayed silent.

They entered the shop and saw an older woman pruning some of the flowers. She smiled kindly when she saw Jonas and Hugh. "Jonas, how are you?"

Jonas gave her a hug and kissed her cheek. "Doing alright, Martha. This is Hugh, a friend from school. I was going to take him to meet Brett, if you're alright with that."

She smiled happily. "Absolutely. It's nice to meet you, Hugh."

Hugh shook her hand. "Likewise."

She looked Jonas over. "You're eating right? How's your dorm? Is everyone treating you well? Chuck isn't being too hard on you?"

Jonas laughed, familiar with her 'shoot at the hip' questions. "I'm doing good. Got all of my meals in. The dorm's great, Hugh is rooming with me, and I think I have a good group of friends. And Chuck is Chuck. You should really go to his next barbeque."

Her eyes misted. "Maybe I will sometime. But I'm so happy for you, Jonas."

She handed Jonas a bouquet of lilies. Jonas looked around. "Do you need any help in the shop? The door was a little stiff when I opened it. I can check it out?"

"It's fine. Just needs some grease on the hinges."

"What about the leak, there are no other issues with it?"

"No dear. You fixed it perfectly last time. You have school today, so say hi to Brett quickly so you're not late." She said.

"You have my number if you need anything. Do not hesitate to ask." He hugged her again and kissed her cheek.

He lowered his head so she can plant a kiss on his cheek in return. "Give him my love on my behalf."

Jonas paid her even though she protested. He led Hugh out of the shop and down the road a little further. Hugh remained silent, especially when he realized where they were heading.

With flowers in hand, they entered the gates of the cemetery. As if he had walked this path a hundred times, Jonas led him through the tombstones.

Jonas snorted towards the man behind him. "Your silence is unnerving."

Hugh smiled sheepishly. "Doesn't seem like the right time for my smartass mouth to open."

Jonas smiled. "Brett had a great sense of humor. I think you would have liked him."

Jonas stopped in front of a tombstone and replaced the old flowers with the new ones. Hugh mouth fell slightly when he saw the tombstone. Brett Miller. 15 years old when he died.

"He wasn't a part of St. Vincent's so he didn't know I was the Wolf. He was a good friend up until he passed. Martha was his mom, but it hurts her too much to come here. I stop by every Wednesday to drop off flowers, and help when I can at the shop."