Chapter 64

Maya's coughing fits were getting more and more difficult to hide from Carina. There were times in the middle of the night where she would sneak out of bed so she could cough without being caught.

It had been two weeks since the fire and Maya was shocked that the burning sensation in her chest hadn't gone away yet. She was getting worried. However, she knew it would worry Carina even more if she told her the truth.

Hiding the coughs from Carina, and the actual coughing itself, had caused Maya's anxiety to escalate. Since she had been with Carina, her anxiety had been under control. This was different, though. She wasn't able to turn to Carina to share what was worrying her most. Not only that, Maya was still holding on to the heavy burden of guilt from the fire. Carina assured her multiple times a day that she was not to blame, but as often as she heard it from her fiance, there was always a part of herself that doubted it.

Maya's latest coughing fit came in the middle of the night... and this time she wasn't so secretive about it.

"Bambina?" Carina called out. She looked at her phone on the nightstand and saw it was just after two in the morning.

There was no answer.

"Maya?" she yelled again. She could see through the crack of the bathroom door that the light was on. Carina crawled out of bed and wrapped her warm robe around her bare body.

Right before she nudged the door open, she paused and could hear Maya gasping for breath. She barged in the door and found Maya sitting in a ball against the counter with a towel to her face so she could muffle the sound.

Carina was pissed.

However, she didn't have the time to let her emotions get the best of her. She needed to help the love of her life.

She looked down at Maya and could immediately see the sorrow and desperation in her eyes. Her face was nearly blue from the lack of oxygen and her eyes were bloodshot from the coughing attack.

Carina ran to her side and crouched down next to her. Maya fell into her. She was too weak to support herself any longer.

"Maya, can you breathe?" Carina asked. She took a deep breath and tried to control the anger she was experiencing.

Maya tried to talk, but was interrupted with another coughing fit. Luckily, that meant she was breathing... just not well.

"I am going to help you get dressed and we are going to the emergency room. Andrea is working. I will call him and tell him we are on the way in."

Maya didn't have the energy to fight or protest. She knew at this point that her lie had gotten completely out of hand.

Carina helped Maya to her feet and guided her to the edge of their bed. She sat her down and dressed her in sweatpants and an oversized hoodie. By the time she was dressed, Maya was completely out of breath. She was gasping for air.

"Okay, we cannot wait any longer. I am calling an ambulance," Carina stated. She knew that Maya was deteriorating quickly.

"No, please..." she tried to say.

"Don't," Carina said harshly.

Maya fell back on the bed and waited to be taken away.

Carina went to the nursery to get Josie. She tried not to wake her as she placed her in the infant carrier. Carina and Josie would drive behind the ambulance and meet Maya at the hospital.

After a few minutes, Maya could hear loud noises outside of her room.

"Where is she?" a familiar, but commanding voice said.