Chapter 36

Two Weeks Later

Carina laid her head on the desk in her office and slowly breathed out. She was nearing the end of a 24 hour shift, but heading home wouldn't be any easier. Andy's transition to living with them hadn't been very easy; her recovery was painful and slow. The doctor was grateful that she was able to be home to look after her, but it made it seem like her shift was never ending.

There was a light knock on her door. She lifted up her forehead just slightly to see a small blonde figure standing in the doorway. "Bambina, is that you?"

"Hi, my love." Maya presented a small bouquet from behind her back and placed it on the desk. She bent down to kiss her girlfriend's cheek before standing behind her to rub her shoulders. Carina melted into her touch and sunk down into the leather chair. "I know that these last two weeks having Andy at the house have been tough, especially on you."

"They really haven't been that bad, bella." Carina was downplaying how tough it had been on her, especially since she was the one to invite her into their home. She was grateful that Maya had noticed that it hadn't been particularly easy.

"I know I say this all the time, but I really don't deserve you," Maya whispered into Carina's ear as she kneaded her fingers deeper into Carina's tense shoulders and back. "I got Vic to stay at the house tonight."

Carina turned around in her rolling chair to look up at her, "You did what?" Carina patted her lap and pulled Maya down into her. Maya laid her head against Carina's chest. The Italian spun around in the chair in delight.

The firefighter continued, "You deserve a break, so I asked Vic to stay overnight to look after Andy. I got us a hotel room for the night downtown."

"Maya... you're too good to me." She wrapped her hands behind her neck and pulled her in for a slow and passionate kiss. Carina slipped her tongue into Maya's mouth.

"Let's get out of here, yeah?" Maya said, breathlessly. Carina nuzzled in tight to Maya and shook her head. A big yawn escaped her mouth. She could have fallen asleep right then and there.

"I packed a bag for you, so we don't even have to stop at home. I thought about making dinner reservations, but room service sounded better. Especially for you, my sleepy girl."

"Perfecto, Bambina."

--

"Checking in for Bishop." Carina rested her head on Maya's shoulder as they stood at the reception desk at the swanky Seattle hotel.

"Here are your keys, Mrs. and Mrs. Bishop, enjoy your stay." Carina chuckled into her girlfriend's jacket as Maya's eyes widened.

The blonde grabbed the keys and backed away from the desk slowly. "Mrs. and Mrs, hm?" Carina joked.

"I kinda like the sound of that," Maya said. Carina was shocked at her response. She was certain that Maya would have gotten anxious or nervous at the mistake, but she didn't.

"I think I like Bishop-DeLuca more," Carina said softly as she grabbed onto Maya's hand.

"I like that, too," Maya whispered back.

The two women entered the empty elevator and stood close to one another as they made their way up to the sixth floor. When they opened the door to their room, Carina was greeted with a candle-lit dinner for two. "This looks a little nicer than room service, Maya."

"Only the best for you," Maya responded. She helped Carina remove her coat and pulled out her chair. "Cheers to the best four months of my life." Maya raised her glass of white wine to Carina's glass of red.