Chapter 57

Four Weeks Later

Josie had officially been under the care of her mothers for an entire month now. It was the middle of March, which meant that Josie was nearly four months old. However, being born so early, Josie was roughly the size of a two month old.

Thanks to her doctor mama, the family was able to establish a strict feeding routine that helped the little bambina gain weight at an accelerated pace. She was thriving under the care of her new moms.

One thing Carina and Maya couldn't get under control was Josie's sleep schedule. They tried their hardest to nap when she did, but it always happened that she fell asleep at inopportune times. Their lack of sleep caused some minor tension between the fiances.

Maya laid in their bed with her pillow pressed against her face. In a muffled voice she cried, "Will she ever stop crying?"

On the other side of the bed, Carina laid flat with tears in her eyes. Josie, who was wailing, laid between the two of them.

The blonde threw the pillow to the ground in frustration and turned to her tiny daughter. She scooped her up and laid her on her chest and patted her booty.

"Shhhh, baby girl, mommy's got you. No need to cry, little love," Maya cooed. Josie's screams didn't calm down. Carina continued to lay flat, nearly life-less, next to the pair. "C'mon, Jose... please," the new mom begged. She grabbed the pacifier from the nightstand and plopped it in Josie's mouth. Her cries started to fade out and her eyes slowly shut.

After a few minutes, Maya scooted off the bed and placed the little girl in the bassinet next to Carina's side of the bed. She had been so preoccupied with trying to calm their daughter down that she never noticed how defeated her fiance looked.

The blonde bent down and pressed a light kiss to Josie's forehead. She stayed crouched on her knees on her lover's side of the bed and reached her hands up to turn Carina's face so they could look at one another.

"Baby..." Maya trailed off quietly.

Carina shook her head in frustration. She knew if she spoke that the floodgates would open.

"Carina, please talk to me."

The Italian took a deep breath and tried to muster out the words, but she couldn't. She closed her eyes, yet small tears still managed to escape.

Maya crawled back in bed and snugged in close to her love. Carina was stiff to the touch, but when Maya coaxed her head to her chest, she could feel the brunette slowly start to loosen up.

The firefighter ran her fingers through the dark brunette curls and just held her closely. She didn't say anything, but just let her fiance sob into her arms. Carina had let her frustrations loose. She had never felt so vulnerable or exhausted in her entire life.

"I- I'm sor-sorry," the doctor said through her soft sobs.

"Baby, no..." Maya assured her. "You have nothing to be sorry for. I've got you, always." The doctor's lip quivered as she tried to utter her next sentence. Maya noticed and said, "You don't have to explain yourself to me. I will hold you as long as you need me to."

Carina eventually cried herself to sleep in the comfort of her love's arms. The two women had no concept of time, so when Josie woke up screaming, neither of them had no idea what time it was.

"Go back to sleep, babe," Maya whispered to Carina. She quickly made her way to Josie's bassinet and picked her up.

Carina tried to protest, but Maya wouldn't have it. She shook her head no and took the crying baby out of the bedroom. The Italian laid back down on her side and grabbed Maya's pillow. She held it to her chest so the scent of her favorite person would help lull her back to sleep.