Chapter 4

It was 7:00pm by the time Maya had finished up the paperwork at Grey Sloan and made it back to the station. As she pulled the rig back into the barn, Jack looked at her and laughed quietly.

"What, Gibson?" Maya asked.

He continued to shake his head and giggle as he said, "You have the hots for that new Italian doctor. I can already tell."

Maya looked up at him with her ocean blue eyes and got stern, "What are you even talking about?" She tried her best to deny it, but he knew her too well and read right through it.

Jack added, "You are one of the most professional firefighters I know. In our four years of working together I have never seen you stumble over your words when discussing a patient. You were so confident until she walked out."

Maya knew there was no denying this, but she tried to anyway. "I don't know what you're talking about. If I stumbled it was because she made me repeat everything I had already said. She should have been out there earlier if she wanted every single detail. It's not my fault she was late."

"Whatever you say, Maya, but I know what I saw," Jack said as he exited the rig and headed for the shower.

Maya wasn't going to let Jack ruin another Wednesday night for her. She was excited to grab Andy and Vic and hit the town. As she made her way to her locker, she saw a note on the door: "Shift ended at 6:00pm and we are tired. Maybe next Wednesday... xoxo Andy & Vic."

"Seriously?" Maya groaned as she crinkled the note up and threw it in the trash can. As Maya was gathering her shower material from her locker, Jack turned the corner wearing just a towel. She couldn't deny how handsome he was, but she also couldn't deny that they drove each other crazy. She vowed she would never climb that tree again.

"Like what ya see, Bishop?" Jack asked sarcastically.

"If I liked it, then I would have stuck with it," Maya piped back before heading towards the showers herself.

Maya was determined to still have a great self-care Wednesday even if the girls did abandon her. She was used to going out on her own and she wasn't going to let this one little hiccup stop her.

She packed two outfits for the evening and had to decide between them. One outfit was definitely more risque, a tight black spaghetti strap dress that fell just above the knee, and the other was definitely more casual. When she packed her bag she didn't know what bar Andy and Vic would want to go to, so she was prepared for fancy and casual. Now that she was on her own, she decided that she wanted to remain casual after having such a long and eventful evening.

Maya slipped into a pair of dark skinny jeans with frays around the knees, paired with her white Adidas Stan Smith shoes. She wasn't tall by any means, maybe 5' 6", but the shoes did add a little bit of height to her. It was springtime, which meant the evenings in Seattle could get chilly, so she threw on a black jacket over her grey tank-top. She never liked to overdo it when it came to hair and makeup. She felt that her natural beauty spoke for itself, but on self-care Wednesdays she would generally give a little more effort than normal.

Maya quickly blow dried and curled her long blonde hair and threw on some mascara. It wasn't the best she had ever looked, but she felt that it was good enough for a few quick drinks. She quickly checked her Apple Watch to see that it was already 8:00pm. If she wanted to meet someone and get them back to her place at a decent hour then she would have to work quickly. Maya thought about where to go and decided on the local bar called "Joe's" which was only two blocks away. She had been there a few times and knew that if she didn't find someone she was interested in that there would likely be other first responders there that she could chat with.