Chapter 53

The two women jumped into Carina's Porsche and tore down the street towards Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. Maya hooked her phone up to the Bluetooth in the car and tried to call Andy again.

Her best friend's shaky voice filled the darkness in the car, "Maya?"

"Andy, what's going on?" she asked. The couple was extremely grateful that she finally answered.

Andy struggled to get her words out through her tears, "I was asleep in the office-," she choked on her words and struggled to continue,"-when Addison stormed in and said he had a seizure."

Carina stared at Maya's tear soaked eyes at the stop light. The red light illuminated the streams of tears pouring down her pale cheeks. The Italian reached out for Maya's hand and squeezed it tightly while she impatiently waited for the light to turn green.

The fire captain responded and tried to sound calm, "I am so confused. I thought Tanner was stable."

"I don't know," the new mother said through her sobs. "Are you on your way? I need you."

"We will be there in less than five minutes. Hang tight Andy, we are coming."

Carina's phone lit up in her purse. Dr. Robbins was calling her. "Andy, Arizona is calling, we will be there soon," Carina said.

Maya hung up her phone and grabbed Carina's and put it on speaker.

"Arizona, what's going on?" the doctor asked frantically.

"He's had a seizure. Once we got him to stop seizing, we did a CT scan and identified that he has a brain bleed. We just did routine scans last week and it didn't appear. This is extremely unexpected. Addison is with Andy right now, but she could really use you two. When will you be here?"

"Pulling in. Are you doing surgery now?"

"Yes, I am about to scrub in. Amelia Shepherd is on her way in. We will be starting as soon as possible. I will keep you updated," the blonde doctor shared.

Maya hung up the phone and bolted out of the car as soon as they pulled into the parking lot. Both women took the stairs, the former-Olympian raced up them at twice the speed of her fiance.

She opened up the door to Carina's office and saw Andy situated in the middle of the couch between Addison and Jack. Dr. Montgomery stood up and made room for Maya to sit down next to her best friend. Carina met Addison in the hallway and asked a plethora of questions about what happened.

"So, the scans didn't show anything at all?" Carina asked.

"No, I just reviewed them again and there wasn't any fluid build up or hemorrhaging. We thought that we were out of the woods with him as he's been doing so well. I am not sure what triggered this, hopefully once Amelia gets in there she will know more."

Carina crossed her arms and sunk down onto the ground. She leaned up against the wall outside of the office and buried her face in her hands. The doctor cried quietly to herself. Addison joined her on the cold tile floor and placed one arm around Carina's shoulder and pulled her close.

"It's going to be okay, Carina," Addison said softly.

"I know it will be. Amelia and Arizona are the best. It's just..." she trailed off as her cries intensified.

"What?" Dr. Montgomery asked.

"I'm terrified that this could happen to Josie, too. She is a premie and I just don't know what I would do if anything were to ever happen to her." Carina looked up at Addison with her large brown tear-filled eyes. Remnants of her leftover mascara streaked down her cheeks.