Chapter 47

The girlfriends had completed their final adoption training. They left with a stronger understanding of how to help their adopted child deal with the trauma of losing parents and feeling abandoned. The entire training the women sat close and held hands beneath the table as they listened closely at how to best help Josie as she grew older.

Part of the training included introducing the child to their biological parents at some point in their life. Both women's hearts shattered as they realized that Josie would never have that opportunity. They prayed that they would be enough for her.

On the Sunday before their home visit, both women worked quietly around each other in their home. In a few short days they were supposed to be leaving for their Italy trip. With the trip being postponed indefinitely, there was definitely a somberness in the air.

As dinner approached, Carina got hangry. Luckily, Maya had made secret reservations at their favorite Italian restaurant downtown.

"Baby, can you come in here?" the blonde yelled from the bedroom.

Carina was in the guest bedroom making sure everything was perfect. They had not transformed it into a nursery yet, but were prepared to do so immediately if necessary. The doctor was dressed casually in denim jean overalls with one buckle attached. Her hair was thrown into a messy bun and her face was makeup free. Maya still thought she was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen.

When the doctor walked into her bedroom, she was shocked to find Maya dressed up head to toe. Her long blonde hair was curled and parted down the middle and she had light touches of makeup on. She had chosen a tight fitted red dress that went below the knee and a pair of black heels. On the bed, she laid out a brand new outfit for Carina that she had purchased after her shift yesterday.

"Bambina, what's all this?" she asked as she hovered over the new outfit.

Maya was acting more shy than normal. She swayed awkwardly in her heels and said, "Since we can't go to Italy anymore, I figured we could at least eat at our favorite Italian restaurant downtown. We have reservations in 90 minutes."

The doctor wrapped her arms around Maya, nearly knocking the wobbly woman over. "You picked this outfit out for me?" Carina asked, shocked. Maya and Carina's fashion choices were extremely different, but she was extremely impressed at her choice.

"I did... but I had some help. Travis and Emmett went shopping with me after work yesterday," she shared.

"Well, it's perfecto. I love it!" Carina hugged Maya once more and ran to the bathroom where she started the shower and began to get ready.

The firefighter's cheeks became red in excitement. The biggest day of their lives, so far, was tomorrow. She wanted one final normal night together before everything could change.

Her original plan was to propose in Italy. All day, she had toyed with the idea of proposing at the restaurant tonight, but she knew that Carina deserved so much more than a restaurant proposal. However, she also didn't want to wait another day to make her her fiance'. She didn't know what to do.

The blonde kicked off her heels and wandered into the living room and Facetimed Andy. She needed her best friend's advice.

When Andy answered the phone, she positioned it down so Maya could get a glimpse of her tiny nephew. He had been doing so well, considering his extremely premature birth. The new mother was able to hold him for short periods of time during the day which helped her cope with not being able to bring him home.

"Hi Tanner," Maya said softly as she waved at the phone. Maya Facetimed Andy almost daily so the call did not seem out of the blue to her.

"Him and Josie had great days!" the new mom said excitedly. Maya loved nothing more than when Andy updated her about her girl.