Chapter 1

As the sun began to set in Seattle, Maya knew that her night was about to be even crazier than her day. It was Wednesday night, and thanks to Maya's demanding job as a firefighter, she always made sure to carve a day out each week to treat herself to self-care. Wednesday's always felt like a treat to her and this one would be no different.

As her shift was approaching the end, Maya began to lay her plans for the evening out to her best friends, Andy and Vic. Some nights Maya preferred to venture out alone, but after a few weeks of solo-work, she decided to invite the girls along. Just as the girls were about to change into their civilian clothes, the alarm went off.

The loudspeaker blared throughout the station, "Aid car requested- 12th and Walnut Street. Motor-vehicle accident with several victims."

"You're kidding me. You are actually kidding me!" Maya yelled as she sprinted to the barn and hopped into the aid car.

Andy and Vic laughed as Maya ran away shaking her head. They yelled after her and told her to meet them out whenever she finished up. Secretly the girls hoped Maya would be too tired to join. Maya was always fun, but Wednesday night "self-care Maya" always took it to a new level. She was like a lion on the hunt for his lioness. Male or female, Maya was going home with someone. While Andy and Vic loved Maya, they were looking forward to a night without the drama of hookups.

Today had been especially quiet at the firehouse, so quiet in fact the team had not been called out at all. So when Maya hopped into the aide car and saw Jack riding shotgun she couldn't help but let out more of her frustration.

"As if my night couldn't get any worse," Maya said under her breath.

"I heard that, Maya," Jack added.

Jack and Maya had a history. A steamy, yet unfortunate history. Jack had been pulled in by Maya's deep blue eyes and her tenacity as a leader. Maya had daddy issues, and Jack was an easy solution to that problem. Their romance was like a train wreck that one saw coming from a mile away. You knew that it was destined for doom from the start, but the road to get there was exhilarating.

"Sorry," Maya chimed in, "you didn't deserve that. It's just that it's Wednesday..."

Jack added, "Oh trust me, I know what Wednesday's mean to you. In fact, I think it was a Wednesday the first time you and I-"

Maya cut him off, "Please don't ruin Wednesdays for me."

Jack laughed and shook his head. In all honesty, Jack had fallen hard for Maya. Maya had never seen it as more than an occasional hookup. So three weeks ago when Maya broke things off on the roof of the station, Jack was visibly much more upset than her. He was ready to move past it, and from the sounds of it, she already had.

The drive to the scene of the wreck was brief. Maya was grateful for the little banter she and Jack had during the ride. She was ready to put the relationship behind her and move on. The past three weeks had been nothing short of awkward and she was really hoping this was a step in the right direction. They had always worked so well together as a team, especially in moments of extreme crisis. As they approached the scene, she realized that this would be another one of those situations.

Before they even exited the aid car, Maya called for backup. She knew that the two of them couldn't handle this on their own, no matter how unstoppable they felt.

a/n: I am new to writing, so be easy on me. If you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them.