Chapter 55

Carina and Maya ran home after spending an hour with Josie to collect a diaper bag, change of clothes, and car seat. Neither of them expected to bring their daughter home today, but they couldn't be happier. They ran up the stairs to their apartment, hand-in-hand, laughing every step of the way.

"Bambina, hurry!" Carina said anxiously as Maya fumbled with her keys.

The blonde shot her a grin over her shoulder as she pushed the door open. Carina jumped up and down in excitement as she made her way to their daughter's room to gather her belongings.

The eager mama pulled the diaper bag from Josie's closet and filled it with a few diapers, blanket, pacifier, formula and a bottle. She called Maya in to help select an outfit for them to change Josie into at the hospital.

"What about this one?" Carina asked. She held up her fifth suggested outfit as Maya rocked back and forth in the glider they had purchased for the nursery.

"Babe, that one is cute, too." Maya had loved all of the outfits that her fiance had selected, but Carina couldn't make up her mind. "Why don't you pack two or three of them? Then, we can decide when we get there. You might want to grab a preemie outfit and a newborn outfit to see which would fit her best."

"Oh, good idea!" she said, enthusiastically. Carina hung up the previous outfits and took three new ones out and put them into the bag. The firefighter shook her head in laughter as she watched Carina check the bag a dozen times to make sure they weren't forgetting anything.

Maya could see the nervousness radiating around her fiance. She got up from the glider and stood behind her love who was hovered over the changing table, repacking the bag, yet again.

The captain stood on her tiptoes behind her future wife and wrapped her arms around her back and clasped them in the front. Maya placed her chin on Carina's shoulder and whispered in her ear. "Baby, everything is perfect, take a deep breath."

Carina sunk back into Maya's touch. She loved how Maya could always tell when she needed to take a step back from a stressful situation.

"I just want everything to be perfect," the Italian sighed out.

"It already is," Maya assured her. "Our girl is coming home with us today and that is all that matters."

Carina adjusted her body so she was face to face with her lover. She bent down and placed a soft kiss onto Maya's forehead and breathed out, deeply. "I'm nervous, bella," she admitted.

"About what?" Maya asked. She repositioned her arms around Carina and started to slowly sway her back and forth.

"Everything..." Carina trailed off. "I just, I've wanted this for so long, and now it's finally real. I'm so afraid I am going to screw it up."

Maya took her hands and moved them to Carina's chin and pulled her brown eyes down to her blue. "Listen to me closely, love."

Small tears started to drip down Carina's cheeks.

"You are not going to screw anything up," Maya said softly. Honestly, the blonde was shocked that she was the one reassuring Carina and it wasn't Carina reassuring her. "The love you have for Josie is so apparent. You told me a few weeks ago that love was enough, and I'm here to remind you of that."

The Italian sniffled and shook her head in understanding. "I love you, Maya," she whispered.

"I love you, too. Now, let's go bring our daughter home."

--

The two new mothers stood side by side outside of Josie's hospital room. Both of them paused and hesitated without realizing the other had as well.