Chapter 50

Two Days Ago

"Bambina, did you order a package?" Carina asked as she carried the mail into their apartment.

Maya's eyes widened. She thought she had changed the shipping location to the station, but she must have forgotten. The captain took the small package from Carina and said, "Yeah, it's a surprise though."

"For who?" Carina asked. They didn't have any large anniversaries or birthdays coming up. She shuffled through the stack of mail in her hands and never looked up at Maya. If she had, she would know instantly that the blonde was about to tell a lie.

Of course the gift was for Carina, but she didn't want to tell her why. "An early Valentine's Day gift," she fibbed. "I just wanted to make sure it was here in time."

Carina totally believed her, "You are quite the planner, bambina. Valentine's Day is still a few weeks away."

Maya went into their room and tucked the package away in her closet next to the hidden engagement ring. "I'm always thinking ahead for my girl," Maya said once she returned to the living room.

--

Present Day

Maya hung up the phone call from Tara. She sat down silently on the edge of her bed and put her face into both of her hands. Instantly, she started sobbing. She flopped backwards onto the bed and let the tears pour out of her eyes and onto the dark maroon sheets below.

They were going to be mothers.

She wiped the tears from her eyes and a few giggles escaped when reality finally set in. Of course, Carina was still in surgery and could not be reached. Maya was thrilled that she was the one who got to tell her.

The blonde stood up on the bed and jumped up and down in excitement. Her emotions were completely out of control at this point. "I'm gonna be a mommy!" she yelled multiple times. Maya jumped off of the bed and ran to the bathroom to get ready. She needed to get to the hospital to see her girls.

As she showered, she replayed the conversation between herself and Tara in her head. She was almost certain that she had blacked out once Tara said they had been chosen, but she did remember some other parts of the conversation, too.

The girlfriends would get to take Josie home by the end of next week. The plan was to transfer her out of the NICU at the end of this week and into a less intensive care unit. If she did okay, then she would be home with them within ten days. Josie would have weekly doctor's appointments for the first two months that both mothers would be required to be at.

Tara and her team would complete monthly visits for the first year to ensure that the adoption was going smoothly. Other than that, Josie was completely theirs.

Ten days, Maya thought. Their daughter would be home in ten days. She started to panic at the thought of how much they had to do in that short amount of time.

The fire captain's roller coaster of emotions continued to toy with her as she got dressed for the hospital. She knew that the only person who could help her get them in check was Carina. Maya couldn't wait to be wrapped in her arms.

--

Carina was still in the operating room when she arrived at Grey Sloan. This gave her time to go into the NICU to see her best friend, her nephew, and her daughter.

"I thought you were working a 24 hour shift today," Andy said from the rocking chair. Maya was silent. "Earth to Bishop," her best friend said louder as Maya got changed into her protective gear.