Chapter 100 ~ Incognita II

Aurelia ignored the questioning looks of the two guards as well as Suetonius' smirk. It had taken forever to tuck her hair back under her wig and Gaius hadn't been much help either. She didn't want to return to the city any more than he wanted to let her go. Some things never changed.
"Rufus, make sure she leaves the compound unnoticed," Gaius instructed one of the two Praetorians she didn't know, leaning casually against the doorframe. He hadn't even bothered to fix his hair and Aurelia had to look away from him. How could she leave him when he looked at her like that? The more dutiful Praetorian stepped behind her and tried to conceal his confusion. Secretly, she was already looking forward to the sight of the faces of the duty-conscious and less duty-conscious Praetorian when they realised who had really sneaked into her princeps' room. But she would have to wait a few more hours for that.
"Oh, and Rufus," Gaius called after them, making them both turn to look at him. Looking confidently after them, arms folded, Gaius fixed the more dutiful Praetorian with that new, serious, more regal expression she had noticed on him earlier.
"If anything happens to her while she is in your care," was all he needed to say. Their eyes met and it ran hot down her spine. If he hadn't turned his back on them and disappeared into his room without another word, she would have blown her cover and thrown herself into his arms. Four years, she thought in confusion. How had she been able to live without him for so long?
All the way back to her horse she hung on to her thoughts, paying little attention to the more dutiful Praetorian, Rufus Gaius had called him. Relieved, she found that the groom had followed her instructions. Nox neighed towards her, rested and excited at the same time. Someone had even saddled her again. She lovingly stroked her mare's nostrils and received a nudge against her palm in response. Impatiently, the mare pawed with her front hooves. Carefully, Aurelia led the horse out of the stable by the bridle and kept to the shade of the trees. Silently Rufus followed. When they reached the gate, Aurelia looked back over her shoulder at the villa. By now most of the rooms were dark. At one of the windows, she thought she recognised her husband's figure. Of course, he would not let her out of his sight for a second as long as he could still see her. She quickly averted her eyes and swung herself onto her horse.
"Thank you, Rufus," she said softly, giving him a small smile. Then she galloped out into the clear night on Nox's back.

Two hours later she fell onto her bed, freshly bathed and completely exhausted. Outside, dusk was already setting in as she slipped into a dreamless sleep.