Chapter 56 ~ Domitius Ahenorbarbus

The moment he took her hand and turned completely away from the frightened boy; a bad feeling came over Aurelia. They could not leave Gemellus like this. Determined, she stopped and gently held Gaius back. She gave her husband a quick glance to make sure he would let her. Light as a feather, she ran her fingertips reassuringly over his arm, then turned back to Gemellus and stepped towards him with a serious expression. Uncertainly, Gemellus looked up at her. Slowly and gently, as with an injured animal, she sank down to his eye level.
"Macro used you, Gemellus," she explained in a calm voice to the still trembling boy. "His plan was always to become first in the state. From the beginning, he intended to eliminate us and then you, as soon as you gave in to his desire to marry Agrippina out of gratitude. You are very young, Gemellus. Don't let him take you down with him!"
Calculatingly, Gemellus' puffy eyes bored into hers. After a while, when he thoughtfully let his gaze wander to Gaius, he seemed completely changed. Gemellus seemed calmer to her, less torn inside and almost as if he could see for the first time the burden that had been on Gaius' shoulders for over nine months. But the most important thing was that he finally believed them.
"There are many things I still need to think about," Gemellus said in a hoarse voice. "But from now on I will concentrate on the really important things and no longer cower in this maelstrom of darkness."
Nodding sympathetically at him, she rose gracefully and fixed one by one the Praetorians present.
"If even a word of what has transpired here today leaves this room" she stated calmly, looking deeply into the men's eyes. "I will see to it that it was the last word that ever passed your lips. Do you understand me?"
The men saluted her hastily, thus expressing their understanding. In thanks, she nodded gravely to them, then reached out to her Gaius. Wordlessly, his fingers slipped between hers and together they strode out of the cell. As soon as they reached the bright atrium of her palace, all fear finally fell from her and gave way to a new feeling: exhaustion. With difficulty, she tried to control her surging tiredness and concentrated entirely on putting one step in front of the other. Silently, they traversed the remaining corridors and finally reached the place where they could be themselves. With the familiar click, the heavy wooden door latched behind them. Gaius immediately pulled her into his arms and buried his face in her hair, while Aurelia wearily leaned her head against his chest, closed her eyes and breathed deeply of his familiar scent.
"I'm sorry," he whispered in her ear. Sluggishly, Aurelia opened her eyes, rested her head on the back of his neck and returned his gaze. Dark shadows had formed under his eyes.
"Can you promise me something, please?" she asked softly, and he raised his eyebrow questioningly, but nodded immediately.
"Next time you are faced with such an important decision, please talk to me about it and don't just decide anything," she asked him earnestly. Tentatively, he brushed a strand of hair from her face and assured her to seek her advice in the future. Relieved, she snuggled up to him again. After a while, he murmured a small "thank you" to her. Questioningly, she looked at him.
"For pulling me from the brink," he explained with a subtle smile, leaning his forehead gently against hers.
"Gaius," she said tenderly. "I love you with all my heart and if I had to, I would drag you out of Tartarus myself"
His soft laughter vibrated in her body.
"I hope it never comes to that" he replied, and the fine smile twisted into his typical crooked grin. But it did nothing to hide the dark shadows under his eyes. Concerned, she eyed his familiar face and took it gently in her hands.
"You work too much," she observed, frowning worriedly. Gaius rolled his eyes and nonchalantly explained that politics did not knock on the door and ask if it was convenient for her to appear now or if she should come back at a more convenient time. Although she wanted to remain serious, she could not suppress a smirk. Laughing, he lifted her up and spun her around despite her half-hearted protest.
"Today I'm off," he declared solemnly and carefully set her back on her feet.
"Then you should use your free time and get some rest," she replied, still a little dizzy, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the bedroom with her. Without argument, he dropped onto the bed and blinked lazily at her.
"Will you tell me a story from the future?" he inquired like a little boy and Aurelia laughed for the first time that day. At the same time, she sat down beside him and pondered while he rested his head on her lap. Lost in thought, she ran her fingers through his full, blond hair.
"What would you like to hear about?" she asked back and immediately he replied, "Britannia - what do you know about this mysterious island?"
Aurelia laughed softly, but then abruptly became serious, wishing she had paid more attention in English class. But even then, she had been more interested in the history of the country than in any population figures or national dishes.
"I've never been there, but the landscape is beautiful," she began, and Gaius eagerly absorbed her every word. Suddenly an idea struck her.
"In about 1500 years there will be two kingdoms on the island, each ruled by a queen. Mary will rule in the north, and Elizabeth in the south."
"What strange names," Gaius interjected and Aurelia rolled her eyes in amusement. Playfully annoyed, she asked him if he even wanted to hear the story. Betrayed, Gaius promised not to interrupt her further and closed his eyes.
"They are relatives, cousins even. But they are required to fight each other for the rule of all Britain. One day Mary must flee her country and seeks refuge with Elizabeth. However, she can only see one thing in Mary: a threat to her own rule and imprisons her. 18 years later, Mary was executed for treason, while Elizabeth went down in history as one of the greatest queens ever. Under her reign, art, literature and theatre flourished. One stain, however, clung to her image forever: Mary's execution."
Thoughtfully, she fell silent and looked out over the beautiful gardens of her palace.
"Do you think history always repeats itself?" she asked but received no reply. Surprised, she turned her attention back to Gaius, whose breathing had become even. Gently, she lifted his head and lay down beside him. Immediately he grumbled in his sleep, pulling her close and burying his face against the crook of her neck. Although his hair tickled her, Aurelia held still, hoping he would continue to sleep. Shortly after, his breathing became more even again. Carefully, she wiped his hair from her face and blew a light kiss on his hair. Everything felt so right with him.
"I promise you that your history will not repeat itself," she whispered, then smiling, she wrapped her arms around his body, closed her eyes and listened to his quiet breathing until she too fell into a deep, restful sleep.