Chapter 82 ~ Agathos

Out of the corner of his eye, he registered how, for the first time in weeks, the tension finally left her body. As soon as they had passed the gate, she seemed younger and more carefree. The raeda rattled along the road, moving further and further away from this hissing nest of snakes, but Clemens was not fooled by this beautiful appearance. Here, too, a new threat could be lurking around every corner.
The past weeks had meant great effort for each of them. For although only five people knew the real reason for the sisters-in-law's estrangement, the rumour mill was boiling diligently at every corner, making his job more difficult. Nothing was as dangerous as a scandal - especially if it could be transferred to politics. Nevertheless, he had been strangely surprised by how confidently and calmly Aurelia handled the political and private situation. When the senators had asked her about Agrippina, she had only raised her head and wanted to know what this affair had to do with the grain supply. The story had spread almost as fast as her plan to clean and sanitise the public toilets. The people loved her unconditionally, but she could never really be sure of the Senate's loyalty. That's why part of Clement was more than happy for them to leave Rome for the Senate's summer holiday. That way their secret would be safe for at least a few more weeks.

Near Formae, of all places, the sky darkened and when the first drop of rain hit him, he realised that they would not make it to their planned accommodation. At the same moment, Aurelia pulled back the curtains of the raeda and looked sceptically up at the sky.
"A thunderstorm is coming," he explained redundantly, and she nodded worriedly. Naturally, she asked what he was up to now. Frustrated, Clemens slowed his horse so he could ride closer beside her.
"There is a villa nearby, we can wait there until the storm has passed," he suggested and of course she immediately agreed. Reluctantly, he spurred his horse again and informed the coachman and his praetorians of the new destination. A little later the wind freshened. At the same moment, he steered his horse into the cypress-lined path, ignoring the feelings that threatened to overwhelm him. As if by magic, the gate opened, and Clemens nodded in the direction of the gatekeeper. By the time they reached the courtyard, it was pouring. Thunder rumbled and Clemens hurriedly jumped off his horse to help Aurelia out of the raeda, but she was already standing on the less-than-artfully paved stones of the courtyard, looking around curiously. She didn't seem to feel the rain at all. An enchanted smile spread across her face. She only emerged from her thoughts when Julius took her hand. Irritated, she shook her head and looked down at her son. Only now did she seem to notice the rain that had soaked her child's clothes within moments and hurriedly pulled the boy into the shelter of the portico. With narrowed eyes, Clemens surveyed the house and registered the shadow hastily receding from one of the upper windows. Routinely he gave all the necessary instructions, then trudged towards the open front door. Nervously, Aurelia stepped up to him and quietly inquired who lived here. Slowly he turned to her and answered simply: "My wife."
Her eyes grew huge, and her gaze slid to nothing. Frustration flickered briefly across her beautiful face, then her expression became friendly and politely interested - it was frightening how quickly she had picked up this protective mechanism from her husband. Soon nothing would be able to upset her enough to make her mask slip. She had long since ceased to be the helpless girl he had hidden on Capri.
Quickly he turned away and entered the entrance hall. The sound of her footsteps followed him and involuntarily he let his gaze glide over the familiar walls. His eyes were still used to the magnificent and tastefully designed villas of the Julian, which is why his own home seemed almost empty and poor to him. The floor was not adorned with a mythological mosaic, but with a simple, tangled pattern of geometric figures and schemes. On the walls were neither colourful carpets nor elaborately painted frescoes. Just as he was about to apologise to her, he noticed her strangely dreamy expression, which he had already noticed in the courtyard.
"You have a very nice villa," she declared with a smile, and Clemens snorted that it was plain. Aurelia rolled her eyes and pulled Julius closer.
"It's elegant," she returned. "But above all, she's a real home, not a cold, impersonal show-off built more for the public eye than for private life."