Chapter 77 ~ Bellum praeparari

Gesoriacum, Gallia Belgica, 20th April 41 AD

With a leap, Gaius jumped off his horse and ignored the nervous glances the tribunes gave him. They looked only a few years younger than himself. But unlike them, he had grown up among soldiers, tribunes and legates, while they had played on country estates or spent their time in the gardens of their rich friends in Rome. Unlike them, who were still so inexperienced, he could not only find his way around a Roman military camp in his sleep, but also knew all the strategies and dodges that could be used to win victories. Now they were still in a permanent camp, but soon they would have to give up these comforts.
Earnestly he handed the reins of his horse to the strator and trudged off in the direction of the praetorium, there he would live for the next few weeks until the crossing. Soon he would exchange the villa for a tent and frankly he was looking forward to it. Suetonius and three other praetorians followed him at a reasonable distance. At first he was surprised at the respect the soldiers showed him, as he had not yet been able to earn it. For he was no longer the little boy who ran through the camp in armour made especially for him as if it were his playground. He was the commander of this army, and he would prove to each and every one of his legionaries that he was not just the son of the great Germanicus. Soon they would respect him for his own achievements and not just those of his father. Without hesitation, Gaius opened the door of the praetorium and disappeared inside the villa. As he entered, Hesiod rose and signalled to the slaves to prepare his rations.
Of course, Gaius would prefer to summon his staff immediately, but he stank like a barbarian and his stomach growled. He quickly ate the bread and cheese, then washed them down with a cup of grape juice. Following this, he made his way to his villa's spa and had the dirt of the journey removed.

"How is the construction of the lighthouse coming along?" he demanded to know, eyeing the commander of the fort.
"It will be ready for use in about two months, princeps," the man explained nervously, and Gaius nodded with a serious expression. For the past hour, he had been briefed on every little thing by the members of his staff. There were maps on the table in front of him, with the Oceanus Britannicus in particular clearly visible. What little knowledge they had of Britain still came from Caesar and Aurelia had repeatedly told him the various reasons why he could not rely on the maps she had made. But for the moment, what little they already knew was quite sufficient for further planning. The first priority was to cross the Fretum Gallicum. After that, he would be able to count on Verica's support. Verica was the leader of the Atrebates, with whom Rome had an amicitia relationship, and Verica's request for help due to the threat to his domain from the Catuvellaunes legitimised Gaius' entire Britannian campaign. The lighthouse was a guarantee not only of their safe outward journey, but also of their return and of vital grain supplies. For Gaius strongly doubted that they would find enough supplies for his legions on the island, and he wanted to be prepared for anything. A starving legion was an unpredictable legion that not only fought worse, but in the worst case would turn on its commanders. Hunger makes evil, Aurelia had once murmured softly. She was so right.
"Any news from legio II Augusta?" asked Gaius, the silence making him look up from his contemplation of his maps. Uncle Claudius shook his head slightly and Gaius suppressed a groan. Immediately he turned his attention to Sabinus and wanted to know from him if he had heard anything from his brother. Sabinus also just shook his head. Thoughtfully, Gaius rubbed the back of his neck. Three legions were too few to pacify all of Britain.
"She will surely arrive here soon," Gaius said, ignoring his uncle's surprised look. Uncle Claudius had never taken part in a campaign because of his physical ailments and Gaius knew that unpunctuality and unreliability in a battle could mean the destruction of the whole army. Nevertheless, he thought it better not to accuse his legates already if they could not answer to him. Hopefully, Vespasian would have a good reason to show for his tardiness when he arrived in Gesoriacum. Sabinus' expression remained unmoved. Either he really didn't know anything, or he didn't want to tell him. Slightly alarmed, Gaius asked the two Flavius brothers present to report on the state of his own legion. But Gaius only listened to Sabinus with half an ear. Again and again his thoughts drifted to the one who was missing.