Chapter 20 ~ Decisions

Smiling self-satisfied, Gaius returned to the revellers and relaxed on his lounger. For although Macro or Lavinia had undoubtedly already whispered everything into Tiberius' ear, he lay here playing his part as if nothing had happened. He should not have followed Aurelia. Disturbed by an unpleasant cough, he looked up and watched the scene in horror. The pale Tiberius lay trembling and coughing beside his little Julia, who anxiously laid her hand on his forehead, glistening with sweat.
"My princeps," she whispered anxiously. "You're burning up, uncle! Did you catch cold on the journey?"
Immediately the drunken Gemellus knelt in front of his grandfather, gruffly slapped Julia's hand aside and felt the forehead of the most powerful man in the world himself. Unable to comprehend, the boy stared at his grandfather and looked completely lost. Gaius gave Julia a worried look, then called for slaves and praetorians. They should finally attend to the sick princeps.
"The feast is over for today, the princeps must rest," Gaius ordered the gawking nobles. Then, together with Gemellus, he grabbed the princeps and, half carrying him, led him silently to his room. Slaves and praetorians followed them. Gemellus and Gaius carefully laid Tiberius on his bed and then stepped aside so that the healers could do their work. After some time, one of the slaves broke away from the others and approached the two young men.
"The princeps had been feeling weak for some months. As you know, the princeps detests doctors. It was only when his condition worsened during the journey that he allowed me to bring down his fever," he explained quietly in a strong Greek accent and Gemellus hiccupped. "But the old age of the princeps worries me greatly. We can do nothing for the high lord. In a few days we will have a new princeps"
The slave nodded gravely at Gaius, then eyed Gemellus anxiously and murmured so softly that only Gaius could understand him, "May the gods save us from this child!"
The Greek returned to his patient and began to quietly issue orders to the other slaves. Apparently, they were at least trying to ease the pain of the illness. Gaius gently grabbed Gemellus by the arm and pulled him out of the room.
"We can only pray for him now, Gemellus," he whispered softly. As soon as the door closed behind them, Gemellus made to leave in a huff.
"Who do you think you are?" he slurred angrily, then rolled his eyes and Gaius just managed to catch him before he hit the cold floor. Seeking help, Gaius eyed the waiting Praetorians and quietly enlightened them about the condition of their princeps. Some nodded, others were silent, while something flashed in Macro's eyes. Was that joy? Gaius asked one of Gemellus's bodyguards to take the boy to his room so he could sleep it off. He immediately complied with his request. Gaius watched them thoughtfully. He could not get the Greek's words out of his head. Would he really make a better princeps than Gemellus? Then he remembered all the practice sessions in which Tiberius had pestered them with strange questions. Gemellus had failed at every single one, while Gaius always had a solution ready - even if they hadn't always necessarily been conventional.
If it was his destiny to follow his foolish great-uncle, Gaius was prepared to carry that burden. Serenely, he made his way to his room, followed by his shadow Clemens. All at once the world seemed clearer and the future brighter. Tiberius would never hurt Aurelia.
Nevertheless, Gaius fell into a restless sleep, riddled with nightmares.

The next morning, Drusilla and Julia burst into his room without knocking and bombarded him with questions. Although Gaius tried to answer them as best as he could, he saw their dissatisfaction. What did they expect, he was not a doctor after all?
The day flew by. No one wanted to celebrate Julia's birthday while Tiberius was ill. So, the nobles waited patiently for news, went for a walk or answered their letters at length. As soon as the sun set, Gaius fell into bed, exhausted. All day he had been swarming among the nobles, trying to keep them happy.

In the middle of the night, Clemens roused him from his sleep. Oversleeping, he scowled at his praetorian.
"The princeps wishes to see you, sir," he whispered softly. Cursing, Gaius threw on a tunic and hurried as fast as he could to Tiberius.
At the doorstep he stopped in surprise. Tiberius sat upright in bed, still pale but much more alive than this morning, drinking a cup of wine. Gaius forced himself to smile brightly.
"You look well, avunculus," he said with relief. Tiberius beckoned him to join him. Hastily, Gaius closed the door behind him and sat down on the edge of the bed as ordered. Tiberius eyed him kindly.
"Are you really glad to see me well?" asked Tiberius wearily. "After all, you have already been treated as my successor".
Immediately Gaius exuberantly expressed his immense joy and affirmed that he would never want to gain such power if it meant the death of his beloved uncle. After a while, Tiberius interrupted him, asking him to tell him about the events since his illness was announced. After Gaius had finished, Tiberius asked about Aurelia. Gaius' insides went cold, but he only raised his eyebrow in surprise and said truthfully that he had not seen her since last night. Tiberius smiled coldly.
"What a pity! Such beauty must be enjoyed every day. Such flowers have a habit of never blooming for long," he paternally enlightened Gaius and Gaius, smiling politely, tried to conceal the trembling of his hand. "As soon as my healers let me, I will call her to me. It would be a shame never to taste this little plant."
Gaius eyed his uncle scrutinisingly and kept the silly smile. Tiberius began to gleefully paint every second of his fantasies about Aurelia's company and Gaius felt sick from the images in his head. When the old man also suggested he watch, he had had enough. Smiling, Gaius stood up, took the goblet from Tiberius' hand and caringly laid him to rest.
"For such exertions you must rest now, uncle," purred Gaius, and quite the exemplary nephew called the guards to him. The only one he knew by name was Macro. As soon as they had gathered around the princeps's bed, Gaius rose and looked each of them deeply in the eye. Arriving at Macro's side, he ordered anxiously, "Cover the princeps carefully so that he may never be cold again."
Still smiling, he left the room and heard Tiberius protest muffled by the pillow. It sounded like music to his ears. Satisfied, he looked down at his hand. On his palm was the signet ring of the princeps, which the great Augustus had already worn. What a symbolic power such a tiny object could possess. Serenely, Gaius slipped the heavy gold ring onto his finger. Satisfied, he strolled leisurely along the corridors. Now he had all the time in the world and before he was ready to officially take up his new task, he had to see her once more.