Chapter 10 ~ Treason

With a racing heart and confident steps Macro approached his princeps, who was already busy listening the voice of a slave that was reading a letter to him. But what Macro was about to whisper inside his ear, would finally open every door for Macro. Slowly he leaned to Tiberius's ear and whispered:  "Princeps, I have to report to you a very urgent yet delicate matter"
The princeps gave his secretary a sign to stop, turned majestically to the head of his Praetorian guards and nodded gracefully. Macro moved a little bit closer and whispered the detailed report with every single one of his observations from the last few months: about Gaius's change in behaviour, the sudden familiarity between Clemens and charge and about the fact that Gaius spend an oddly huge part of his time in his chamber without showing many interests in the women at the princeps's court. With every whispered word he became calmer. When he finally told his princeps about her, a small, cruel smile appeared on his face.
Caligula was finally about to fall out of the princeps' favour and as soon as Tiberius would go over to Pluto's scenery, Gemellus would be in charge who was easy to control by Macro and in case he wasn't... well, the Julian family didn't have any other male heir anymore beside Claudius. But none with a sane mind would leave the country in the hands of a cripple who wasn't even loved by his own mother.
"You did the right thing reporting me these things, Macro", Tiberius purred. "It's a shame that there isn't a single soul on the face of this earth you can trust. Especially not in the own family. I want that you will go into my great-nephew's chamber and bring this girl to me while he attends at my party. Everyone will witness how I will turn her into my weapon to break this traitor"
"Your wish is my command, milord", Macro answered, bowed deep and left Tiberius' chambers very pleased with himself. From the moment his future was set in stone.