Chapter 21 ~ Departure into the unknown

Aurelia realised immediately that something was wrong. Dazed, she sat up and rubbed her eyes sleepily. She was still in the ancient world. The sun was not yet shining into the room and the first birds were chirping. Next to her bed sat Vespasius, lost in thought. All at once she was wide awake.
"What are you doing here?" she asked hastily, sitting up straighter. "Has something happened?"
Vespasius eyed her closely, closed his eyes and sighed deeply.
"The princeps passed away last night, Aurelia," he murmured without looking at her. Of course, Aurelia pestered him with countless questions at the same time, but he could only tell her that they would leave for Rome without delay. Her adoptive father handed her a plate with cheese and bread. A cup of water stood beside her bed on the small table. Without appetite, Aurelia began to eat while Vespasius watched her intently.
Just as he opened his mouth to speak, there was a knock at the door and frustration flitted briefly across his fat face. As quickly as his weight would allow him, he waddled to the door and opened it. Nara and Belana entered the room, dejected. Vespasius kindly instructed them how to stow Aurelia's things. He emphasised that all items of clothing and jewellery from the imperial family that were not gifts should be returned to their respective owners. After the slave girls nodded hesitantly, Vespasius left the room less tense. The few pieces were quickly divided into two piles and her own clothes, whose large number surprised her, were stowed in a box.
"What would you like to wear today, milady?" asked Nara gently, taking the empty plate from her. Aurelia decided on a turquoise blue tunic. As soon as she was dressed, she sat down in front of the small mirror. Gently, Belana untangled her long hair with a comb and was about to put it back up into a traditional hairstyle when Aurelia held her back. She happily ran her fingers through her hair. From today on, she would wear it loose again, if the temperatures and the occasion allowed.
With tears in their eyes, the two slaves said goodbye to her. Suspicious, she asked if they would accompany her. They looked down at the ground.
"We belong to the imperial family, milady," Nara explained and Belana nodded sadly. "We will come with you to Rome if we are commanded. But we will no longer be able to serve you there."
"It has been an honour to serve you, milady," Belana assured her, and a tear ran down Aurelia's cheek. She hurriedly stood up and took the two women in her arms, whom she had grown fond of despite the difference in status. As she quickly detached herself from them, she took each of them by the hand, looked deeply into their eyes and said, "May the gods keep their protective hands over you, my friends."
The slave girls wept silently, bowed and wished Aurelia the same blessing. Then they carefully wiped the tears from their eyes and left the room, each carrying some clothes under her arm which they had to return before leaving.
Aurelia sat down on the small chair, looking distressed. The silence of her room was driving her mad. So, she threw on her coat and went outside for one last walk to the sea.
As busy as the hustle and bustle of the slaves in the house was, the beach lay peaceful and deserted before her. The wind tore at her clothes and ruffled her newly combed hair. But it did not bother her. Once again, she wondered what fate had in store for her next.
With a sigh, she turned away from the shore far too quickly and strode back to the villa. There, the slaves had already distributed all the luggage onto carriages and were helping the nobles to board. Aurelia could spot Vespasius among them, who was looking around in panic on all sides. Quickly she ran towards him.
"There you are, child! We've been looking for you everywhere," he exclaimed with relief and led her to his carriage towards her future.

The long procession made slow progress. They had already been on the road for five days. Shortly after noon, they took their first and only break of the day. Rome was only a few hours away, but the horses needed a rest. In the shade of the trees, tents were erected at lightning speed by slaves, where the rich and beautiful could fortify themselves.
Suddenly Clemens appeared beside her and whispered that Gaius wanted to see her. Aurelia nodded hastily, ignoring her adoptive father's worried look, put down the cup and followed Clemens. He stopped in front of the smallest and most inconspicuous tent and silently gestured for her to enter. Self-consciously, Aurelia pushed through her shoulders, flipped the tarp aside and entered the tent. Gaius stood with his back to her, lost in thought, playing with a ring on his left ring finger that she had never seen on him before. Quietly she approached him and whispered his name. Slowly, like a sleepwalker, he turned to her and eyed her intently. She twisted her mouth into a tentative smile.
"You wanted to see me?" she asked cautiously, and he ran a hand through his hair in agitation.
"Now that my uncle is dead, you are finally safe," he said seriously, but she knew him well enough by now to recognise his sadness. Tentatively she stepped to him, pulled his ring from her finger, took his hand, placed the ring inside and closed his fingers around it. Astonished, he blinked down at her.
"Julia told me what this ring means to you," she explained softly, keeping his hand closed tightly around it. Gaius suddenly leaned down to her and for a moment she thought he was finally going to kiss her, but he only put his forehead to hers. Hastily she lowered her eyes so that he would not see her disappointment. Sighing softly, he murmured that Tiberius was right. Confused, she met his pained gaze.
"I really would only destroy you, Aurelia, and I must protect you from this all-consuming darkness within me. I don't want you to see me like this or to suffer because of me," he breathed regretfully and stood up straighter. Moved, Aurelia placed her other hand on his cheek, tears glistening in her eyes again.
"There is no side of you that you need to protect me from," she whispered softly. Then she stood on tiptoe and finally pressed her lips to his.