Chapter 50 ~ Accidit

Caligula had become so boring since grandfather's death. On Capri he had known what it meant to live like a true prince. But at the latest since Aurelia had reappeared, Caligula had mutated into one of those bland Romans whose parties ended shortly before nightfall. Gemellus missed his old life. Some days it was hard for him to believe that Caligula's father had actually been his mother Livilla's brother.
But today his anticipation of his little Persia provided enough distraction at this parody of a Roman feast. Although his grandmother Antonia had provided an excellent meal, the mood remained staid and tame. Tonight, would actually be the perfect opportunity for Caligula to have unnoticed fun outside of his marriage to this barbarian, and what did he do? Like a bored man, he finished his meal and retired to his chambers - oblivious to the seductive glances of the slave girls. What was wrong with him? Caligula had everything Gemellus longed for. How could he not make use of it?
But today it came in handy for him that Gaius didn't want to celebrate for so long. The other men quickly disappeared one by one and Gemellus was able to sneak into his chambers. Only with difficulty did he manage to moderate his pace and put a tired expression on his face. As soon as the door closed behind him, he fell into a hurry. He quickly slipped into his simple clothes, threw on his coat and scurried unnoticed through his grandmother's almost deserted city villa. Finally arriving at the stables, he made sure that no one had followed him. Only then did he grab his reins and bridle and prepare one of the fast horses alone at record speed. He would have to stop at more than one of the changing stations and exchange his respective horse for a fresh one. But this was the only way he had a chance of being at the agreed meeting point on time and, above all, before everyone else. For he was sure that Macro Persia was close on her trail, otherwise she would not have asked Gemellus so urgently for a meeting.

A little later he rode vigilantly through the little streets to the Porta Praenestina and passed it undetected and with a false name with the last light of the day. With a grin, he turned to the city, now lit by torches. All was quiet and peaceful. By the time anyone would notice his absence, he would be long gone. Confidently, he turned his back on Caligula's city, put the spurs to his horse and galloped purposefully out into the night. No one would be able to stop him now.
Heart pounding, Gemellus slid out of the saddle and left his horse tied to a tree at the edge of the forest. The full moon bathed the seven-arched bridge in its silvery light. The sound of the river mingled with the soft whispering of the wind. Mist crept up from the depths. There was no trace of Persia. It was only a matter of time before she would finally stand before him again. He had made it. He was here.
Impatiently, Gemellus detached himself from the shadows of the forest, entered the street and strolled towards the middle of the bridge, placing one hand on the hilt of his dagger as a precaution. Forlorn, he stopped in the middle of the bridge and looked around hopefully. He was still alone. A wave of loneliness washed over him, and he leaned against the railing, sighing. Nervously, he looked down at the mist that had by now begun to envelop the bridge and waited. The cry of an owl startled him briefly, but his restlessness grew with every minute he stood on this bridge abandoned by all the gods and had to wait for her. But his heart knew that she needed him and would soon appear.
Suddenly the patter of approaching hooves mingled quietly with the night sounds and Gemellus relaxed. Soon she would be here. Smiling, Gemellus raised his face to his mouth and bathed in its pale light with closed eyes.
Suddenly the clatter of hooves broke off abruptly, close by Gemellus heard a horse snort and a body slide out of the saddle. Immediately the familiar sound of nailed soles on stone was heard. Disgruntled, Gemellus turned towards the unwelcome sounds and opened his eyes lazily. By now, both ends of the bridges were engulfed in mist, but the sturdy figure of a man was already emerging. Without hesitation, Gemellus tightened his grip on his dagger.
"What do you think you're doing here, boy?" the man blasphemed and Gemellus froze. Macro. Snorting like an angry bull, the Praetorian prefect stomped towards him and in surprise Gemellus dropped his dagger. A soft splash confirmed his fear that from now on the river deity was better armed. As soon as Macro reached him, he grabbed him roughly by the arm and vigorously pulled him a good distance towards both their horses.
"You're coming back to Rome with me right now!" growled Macro. Gemellus tilted his head and braced himself against the older man.
"I don't think so," he retorted, deftly extricating himself from Macro's grip. Irritated, Macro wheeled around to face him.
"Did you seriously think no one would notice your absence?" hissed Macro sardonically. "Caligula himself sent me after you because tonight should not be tainted by your dissolute activities in the most dissolute quarters of Rome. Pray to every deity you know that no one has yet told him that you have left Rome to meet secretly with your little whore in the middle of misty nowhere!"
"How do you know I was going to meet with her?" slipped out Gemellus, and the Praetorian Prefect's face took on a more impatient expression that confirmed Gemellus' worst fears.
"You are spying on me!" he exclaimed in horror, backing away from this man he had obviously underestimated.
"You'd better be thankful I'm looking out for you, boy," Macro growled back, coming at him menacingly slowly. "Otherwise, your head wouldn't be sitting so cocky and stupid on your narrow shoulders for a long time now"
Gemellus opened his mouth to slam any insult at Macro's head that came to mind, but something else caught the Praetorian prefect's attention. Nervously, Gemellus pricked up his ears, but he could detect no change and Macro relaxed a little again too.
"My head will rest in its place for many, many decades to come," Gemellus retorted heatedly, and Macro snorted in amusement. What cheek!
"How good to see you, gentlemen," a silky voice sounded calmly behind them, and they turned to the speaker in surprise. There she stood cloaked in the pale glow of the moon, calmly regarding the two men.
"Persia!" breathed Gemellus and was about to run to her and finally enfold her in his arms again, when out of the corner of his eye he noticed movement beside him. With his sword drawn, Macro rushed past him and Gemellus had just the presence of mind to extend his leg, causing the Praetorian Prefect to stumble and lose his balance. Clattering, the gladius fell to the ground and disappeared into the mist.
"Have you completely lost your mind?" cried Macro, about to lunge at Gemellus, who dodged to one side at the last moment.
"We should listen to what she has to tell us," Gemellus said urgently, and the anger drained from Macro's eyes. Suspiciously, he eyed Persia, who stepped beside Gemellus with her hands raised. A strong smell of forest, dirt and sweat emanated from her.
"I swear I do not carry a weapon," she assured, her eyes fixed steadfastly on Macro. Her beautiful eyes filled with tears. At the same moment a cloud moved in front of the moon, and it took Gemellus a while to get used to the new light conditions.
"But I can't live like this anymore and I didn't know where else to turn," Persia continued louder against the murmur of the river. "When I felt safe enough about a month ago, I sought out my friend Daca, who owns a small, secluded villa near Tusculum. Without asking any more questions, she assured me to discreetly send Gemellus a message from me and..."
Suddenly, thirteen horses shot out of the mist and surrounded them in a disciplined and routine manner. No matter how hard he looked, Gemellus could find no way out. Cursing softly, Macro felt for his dagger. But at that moment the cloud gave way and moonlight illuminated the riders. Relieved, Gemellus recognised the familiar signs of the Praetorian Guard on each of them.
"I am Quintus Naevius Sutorius Macro, your prefect! Who gave you the order to surround me?" barked Macro. The rider in front of Macro slowly untied the loop of his helmet and set it down without haste, his face hidden by his horse's neck. As he straightened in the saddle, a choked gasp escaped Gemellus' throat.
"Me," Caligula replied calmly. Calmly he nodded to the rider beside him.
"Arrest these two men!" ordered Caligula in his politely composed manner, and with a shout Macro rushed towards Caligula, brandishing his dagger. Without hesitation one of the horses leapt between them and the rider mounted it, forcing Macro to retreat by the animal's lashing hooves, which flung the dagger from his hand.
"I would not do that if I were you, Macro. This is treason," rang out the feigned dismay of Caligula's friend Vespasian. Macro looked up at him with hate-filled eyes. The horseman next to Vespasian struck Macro's head hard with the pommel of his sword and the Praetorian prefect slumped. Horrified, Gemellus looked at the unconscious body of the man who until just now had been the second most powerful man in the empire after Caligula. Four of the Praetorians slid off their horses. Two tied up the unconscious Macro, the other two slowly approached Gemellus.
"Do you too wish to follow Macro's example and come at me?" asked Caligula coldly, and Gemellus slowly shook his head.
"I would never turn on my own family," Gemellus affirmed, cursing the hypocrisy in his voice. Why was he lying? It was obvious that Caligula knew about everything. Amused, the corners of Caligula's mouth twitched.
"Oh really?" he probed further. "The evidence is against you, Gemellus"
The two Praetorians had reached him, while one held him down, the other grabbed his wrists and put them in heavy, iron handcuffs with lightning speed. Then they pulled him along with them. Confused, his gaze flitted to Persia, who was watching the action equanimously. No, it couldn't be. As if she had noticed his gaze, her eyes bored into his and Gemellus could see the guilt in them.
Something inside Gemellus was breaking. She had trapped and betrayed him. But instead of hatred or anger, he felt loneliness and fear. Why had she betrayed their love?