Chapter 51 ~ Saltamus

Full of anticipation, Fauna materialised in front of her new high priestess. She had been looking forward to this night, which she always spent in the circle of her followers, all year. These good women had kept her true name for centuries. It was thanks to them that only those who really needed her help could call her by name: Women. So, every year she danced anew until the first ray of the morning sun with her priestesses and could forget her divine duties for one night without being shafted - for what deity would let her own festival slip away?
Before her knelt Amphitrite's protégé and although she had often heard the other gods rave about the young woman's beauty, the sight of her took Fauna's breath away. But like any deity, she could see behind the mortal façade and this woman was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside. Except for the fear Aurelia felt for her husband and herself at that moment. This fear, which she cleverly kept hidden from mortal women, disturbed the image. Without hesitation, Fauna spoke her blessing over her high priestess unheard by the people. Tonight, her fear would not restrain her. Tonight, she would celebrate life with her. In a clear voice the prayer rang out. Pleasured, Fauna closed her eyes and let herself fall.
Euphoric, Fauna turned in the circle of her priestesses, swaying to the music. Like the women, she had consumed plenty of wine, but her head was not yet spinning. With all her heart she laughed and danced and did not care that none of the women could see her. All that mattered was the here and now.
All at once, a tingling sensation spread across her skin and Fauna paused. Suddenly she became serious. Her time was up. Hopefully, the first ray of the rising sun flashed on the horizon and fell directly on Aurelia's hair, which flared golden. Blinking, Aurelia looked out the window and the music faded.
Satisfied, Fauna turned away. She had seen enough in that one night and now she knew she need not worry about the future of Rome. There was nothing for her to do here. Rome's future was already secure without her intervention.