She smacks her lips together again, so I replace the nipple of the bottle back between her lips and she gently gulps down some more milk. After a few more gulps her eyes start to close, so I remove it and her lips stay parted. I get up from my seat, taking the bottle with me, heading into what will be her room in a few months, grab one of her baby towels and wipe at her face where she was dribbling. Her eyes flutter open for a second so I test out if she wants any more by placing the nipple back near her lips, but she simply turns her head closing her eyes again. I put the bottle on the nightstand, I will sort it out later, throw the towel over my shoulder and bring Evie's body up so I can burp her. Once I hear a not so graceful burp leave her lips, I check her face for any sick which thank god there isn't and start to make my way back to the kitchen, grabbing my tea before heading up to our room. 

As I slowly lower her into the crib she starts to fuss and wiggle around. I unwrap her arms from the blanket so she can move more freely, the heating is finally doing its job as the room starts to warm up. I place the mug on the bedside table, before looking down at my beautiful baby girl. Her curious eyes look up at me in the dark, as she continues to fuss. I let out a small sigh bending down, placing my hand in the crib and she grabs onto my index finger. I swing her arm about a little, her grip remains strong on my finger, her eyes still open searching the darkness. I start to rock the small crib trying to lull her to sleep, but when she continues to fuss I move to the last resort. I sing her what my mom used to sing to me.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring turns brass
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass
And if that looking glass gets broke
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat
And if that billy goat won't pull
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull
And if that cart and bull turn over
Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover
And if that dog named Rover won't bark
Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart
And if that horse and cart fall down
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town
So hush little baby, don't you cry
Momma loves you and so do I!

She finally let's sleep consume her, her grip on my finger relaxes so I slip it out of her hand and stand up making sure to still the crib so it isn't rocking her in her sleep because it usually wakes her up. I trudge back to my side of the bed, pulling the covers back so I can slip under. Sarah's body gravitated towards mine as she pushes her back against my front and I wrap my arm around her waist to bring her closer leaving a small kiss on the back of her neck. I hear her let out a content sigh so I know she is awake still.

"Honey, go back to sleep. It's nearly 3.30 and you need your rest." She turns her whole body so she is now facing me, stuffing her face against my neck. 

"Sing to me." I smile against her hairline, pecking her forehead a few times feeling her relax against me.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring

I hear light snores leave my wife's lips and it makes me smile. I pull our bodies impossibly closer, taking in her vanilla scent before I continue singing, until I once again finish the song and let sleep take over me.

I wake to a cold bed, my arms no longer wrapped around my wife's body but instead the pillow that smells just like her. I lift my head up when I hear a small cry, searching for Evie's body in her crib but she is not there. The cry must have come from somewhere else inside the house. I turn to look at the bedside clock, the red digits flashing 7.58am at me. Why do I always have to wake up before the hour? I could use the extra 2 minutes to, well, sleep. I groan, wiping my hands over my face trying to rid it of sleep, sitting myself up and swinging my legs out from the covers digging my toes into the carpet. I stretch my hands above my head as I stand up, a loud yawn escaping me. I trudge downstairs where I can hear the soft cooing of my wife's voice as she talks to our daughter.