CHAPTER 42: IRIS

"Am I dying?"

I groan in frustration and turn on my other side so I'm now facing away from Niall.  "This can't be normal, can it?" He continues, clearly not seeing my frustration.

"Shut the fuck up." I mumble and wrap the blankets around me tighter. "I'm dying." Niall mumbles and I turn to face him. "No you are not dying. It is very much normal that your nails glow in the dark considering they're painted bright pink."

"You don't know that. Maybe I am dying. Oh my God I'm too young and handsome to die." Niall starts rambling and I let out another sigh. "I don't know why I thought painting your nails was a good idea. Niall, you are not dying. You are fine."

Niall shakes his head and opens his mouth to say something before I cut him off by placing my hand over his mouth. "Niall, please shut the fuck up and go to sleep." I plead and he slowly nods after a while.

"Finally." I let out a breath and moved my hand away. "What if I was though?" Niall pouts and I groan, grabbing my phone. "What are you doing?" Niall asks, watching me open my phone. "I'm calling Sophia." He looks at me confused.

"Why are you calling her?" I sigh for the hundredth time. "She actually stayed in college and pursued the medical field unlike me who dropped out after a month." He looks at me shocked.

"You dropped out of college?!" He asks, almost in awe. "Yeah, didn't have the will or patience to get through that. Got myself a nice little recipe book from my grandmother and found a love for baking." I shrug as I open my contacts.

"That's how you started your bakery?" I nod and turn to him. "You still think you're dying?" He nods, looking at his nails. I slowly nod before pressing on her contact.

"Hello?" Her voice is muffled by a low buzzing.

"Hello? Soph? Where are you?" I ask as Niall looks at me in confusion.

"Driving to school. What's up?" I let out a sigh and turned to Niall who's examining his nails for the billionth time.

"I have a medical question." I run a hand through my hair.

"Okay, go on."

I place my hand over Niall's to keep him from fidgeting. "If someone was healthy and didn't really have any medical issues but their nails glow in the dark, does that mean they're dying?" I sigh as Niall looks at me, awaiting an answer.

"Explain the glowing nails more." I hold in a laugh and turn away from Niall.

"The nails are painted bright pink." I say, biting my lip. There's a moment of silence before she bursts out laughing.

"Are you serious?" She asks through her laughs.

"I wish I was joking."

Once her laughing calms down, she goes on to explain that it's indeed fine and that I shouldn't worry. If only she knew it wasn't me I was talking about.

"Thank you Soph, I'll talk to you later." I end the call and throw my phone on the nightstand with a long sigh.

"Am I dying?!?!" He asks and I shake my head.

"She said it's fine and they're only glowing because of the nail polish so would you please for the love of God go to sleep." He slowly nods and lays down.

"What would you do if I was dying though?" Niall asks, wrapping his arms around me. "I would finally get a good night's sleep." I mumble and turn in his arms to hug him.

"So you wouldn't miss me?" He asks, placing his chin on my head. "Nope." I smile and shake my head against his chest. "I'll just have to haunt you then." He squeezes my bum and I laugh.

"I'd like to see you try." He lets out a little laugh and I smile. "Niall?" I call out to him, getting a hum in return. "Iris." I mumble and press my cheek against his chest. "What?" He asks and I pull away.

"That's my favourite song." I whisper, my finger playing with his bottom lip. "Oh." He looks at me, his mouth slightly open.

"Wait here." He says, placing a kiss on my lips and running over to his room. He comes back a few minutes later with his guitar. I smile as he grabs my hand. "Come on." He says and hands me my shoes.

"Where are we going?" I ask as he leads me to the lift. "You'll see." He says with a smirk and I shake my head. "Okay." I mumble with a smile.

We go up to the highest floor and I look at him confused. "Come on." He says and leads me to a staircase. We walk up and come up to a door painted blue.

He smiles at me as he pushes open the door. My jaw drops as I look at the view of the city. "Wow." I breathe out as I walk to the edge of the roof. "Don't jump." Niall teases and I roll my eyes.

"It's beautiful." I gush as I watch the breathtaking view. "Not as much as you." Niall whispers and grabs my waist. "Come here." He says and sits down on the edge. "That's dangerous." I say and try to pull him off.

"Come on, Bunny. Live a little." He smirks and holds out his hand. I sigh and sit beside him. Our legs dangle off of the edge.

He smiles at me and starts playing his guitar. I instantly recognise the song and smile.

"And I'd give up forever to touch you." Niall sings and I watch him, taking in all his beauty. "Cos I know that you feel me somehow."

"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be." Niall looks at me as if he truly means it. "And I don't wanna go home right now." I shake my head and smile.

"And all I can taste is this moment." His voice is quiet and calm. "And all I can breathe is your life." I touch his leg with mine and laugh a little. "When sooner or later it's over."

He looks at me and I feel myself going red. "I just don't wanna miss you tonight." His voice lowers as he sings the last note.

"And I don't want the world to see me." I join in with him and his eyes light up. "Cos I don't think that they'd understand." Our voices blend together. "When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." We smile as he plays the short instrumental part.

"And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming." He sings as I look out to the city. "Or the moment of truth in your lies." That line hits me and I begin tearing up. "When everything feels like the movies, yeah you bleed just to know you're alive."

I look over at him and smile as I find him looking at me. "And I don't want the world to see me." We sing together and I look him in the eyes. "Cos I don't think that they'd understand."

A few tears fall down my face and I look down. "When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." I smile as he starts moving his feet as he plays the instrumental part.

Everything feels perfect. This moment right here was the most intimate moment I've had in a while. I couldn't ask for a better person to share this moment with.

I watch as his hair falls against his forehead. His white shirt clings to his body, his jeans ripped and tight against his thighs.

The chains from his jeans lay on the edge. His necklace lays on his chest just above the guitar. His ring covered fingers play each chord delicately. I smile as I take in the moment. Everything seems perfect then that's when it happens.

The world stops.