Chapter 63

Chapter 63: Endgame...and surprises

Merielle watched as Hermione and Julian cast their Patronuses. Others were doing the same, trying to fend off the Dementors. But it was hopeless. If they fought off the Dementors, the Darkslayer's forces would attack them. And vice versa. 

Merielle shot down many of his forces, her wand aimed carefully. Draco was doing the same. She had given him his wand this morning. Draco looked up at the circling Dementors. They couldn't go on this way.

"I'll try to fend off the Dementors," he told Merielle, "You continue taking down his forces."

"Can you form a Patronus?" She asked worriedly.

"I'll try," Draco said bravely, "For you." He caught the Dementors' attention as Merielle continued to fight off the cloaked figures.

The figures were advancing on them now, and Merielle was tiring. But she realised that Draco could not produce a Patronus, no matter how hard he was trying. And that made her heart ache.

"I'll do the Patronus, Draco," she said, firing successive Diffindo spells, "You take over."

"Alright," he nodded, breathing heavy and blond hair messily slicked.

Draco seamlessly switched to taking down the cloaked figures. Merielle turned to take his place. She summoned up her most happiest memory. There were a few after the war, and more before it. She took a deep breath, letting it fill her thoughts.

"Expecto Patronum!" She cried, her voice powerful, wand directed. A brilliant white light burst forth, taking the form of a white mare. It galloped up through the air, going directly for the Dementors. Hermione's otter joined it and the two Patronuses warded off the Dementors as they backed away. Other Patronuses were up in the air too, fending off the creatures. 

Merielle's eyes narrowed in concentration as her white mare relentlessly beat back the Dementors. But in a battle, you should watch all four sides. Not just the front. And so she didn't see the two Dementors coming up behind her.

"Expecto Patronum!"

Merielle turned around in surprise to see Draco standing there, his wand aimed directly. And there, galloping towards the Dementors, was a stallion. His Patronus.

She stared in surprise as his stallion wheeled round to join her mare, and the two horses continued to circle them, fending off the Dementors. Merielle looked at Draco, who smiled.

"I guess it just took you for me to form one," he smiled, "I'd do anything for you."

She kissed him. He kissed her back, but it was more of a reflex instinct now.

"I love you so much," she said.

"I love you too, my darling fiancée," he whispered against her lips.

They broke apart and continued fighting. For some reason, a lot of the cloaked men were coming at them two. A lot. Merielle felt her muscles begin to tire at all the effort of staying alive. She gasped as she tripped and fell onto the ground.

Groaning, she lifted her head up and spat out grass. Merielle pushed back her wild hair and gingerly sat up. She seemed to be in one piece. Nothing was broken, thankfully. Hopefully. Merielle staggered to her feet. Her hand closed round her wand as she frowned.

"Draco?" She called, realising he was nowhere to be seen. Then, slowly, like one might do in a film, she turned around.

There he was. But not in the way she would've liked. Draco was struggling on his knees, bound by magic. And there, standing above him, was the Darkslayer. Dread coiled in her stomach as she faced them. The wind blew across her hair. The battle around them was entirely forgotten. Although she wanted to end the Darkslayer, the one thing that mattered to her the most was saving and protecting Draco. Always.