Chapter 35

Chapter 35: The Ministry of Magic

There was a crash from downstairs. Gasping, Merielle's blood ran cold as she left everything where they were, only picking up her wand and dashing out of the door and down the stairs in a flash. She nearly crashed right into Harry, Ron and Hermione, sighing in relief.

"Oh, you're ok. For a moment I thought-" Then she spotted the rolling mass of flying limbs that had appeared out of thin air. Kreacher disentangled himself and croaked,

"Kreacher has returned with the thief Mundungus Fletcher."

"Dobby has also returned with Mundungus Fletcher!" Merielle watched in surprise as Dobby's head popped up. Mundungus Fletcher stumbled to his feet, pulling out his wand. Merielle, however, was too quick for him.

"Expelliarmus!" she cried, and his wand sailed through the air, landing neatly into her outstretched palm. Wild-eyed, Mundungus attempted to make a run for it as Ron rugby-tackled him to the ground.

"What are you playin' at, sending a pair of bleedin' 'ouse elves on me!" shouted Mundungus.

"Dobby was only trying to help!" the elf retorted, "Dobby saw Kreacher in Diagon Alley, which Dobby thought was curious. And then Dobby heard Kreacher mention Harry Potter's name, which Dobby thought was very curious. And then Dobby saw that Kreacher was talking to the thief Mundungus Fletcher, which Dobby thought was very, very-"

"I'm no thief, you foul little git. I'm a purveyor of rare and wondrous objects-"

"You're a thief, Dung. Everyone knows it," Ron said.

"Kreacher apologizes for the delay in bringing the thief, Master," croaked the elf. "Fletcher knows how to avoid capture, has many hidey-holes and accomplices. Nevertheless, Kreacher cornered the thief in the end."

"You've done really well, Kreacher," said Harry, and the elf bowed low.

"Right, we've got a few questions for you," Harry told Mundungus, who shouted at once.

"I panicked, okay? I never wanted to come along, no offense, mate, but I never volunteered to die for you, an that was bleedin' You-Know-Who come flying at me, anyone woulda got outta there. I said all along I didn't wanna do it –"

"For your information, none of the rest of us Disapparated," said Merielle angrily.

"Well, you're a bunch of bleedin' 'eroes then, aren't you, but I never pretended I was up for killing meself –"

"We're not interested in why you ran out on Mad-Eye," said Harry, moving his wand a little closer to Mundungus's baggy, bloodshot eyes. "We already knew you were an unreliable bit of scum."

"Well then, why the 'ell am I being 'unted down by 'ouse-elves? Or is this about them goblets again? I ain't got none of em left, or you could 'ave em –"

"It's not about the goblets either, although you're getting warmer," said Harry. "Shut up and listen."

Harry's wand was now so close to the bridge of Mundungus's nose that Mundungus had gone cross-eyed trying to keep it in view.

"When you cleaned out this house of anything valuable," Harry began, but Mundungus interrupted him again.

"Sirius never cared about any of the junk –"

There was the sound of pattering feet, a blaze of shining copper, an echoing clang, and a shriek of agony; Kreacher had taken a run at Mundungus and hit him over the head with a saucepan.

"Call 'im off, call 'im off, 'e should be locked up!" screamed Mundungus, cowering as Kreacher raised the heavy-bottomed pan again.

"Kreacher, no!" shouted Harry. Kreachers thin arms trembled with the weight of the pan, still held aloft.