Chapter 27

Chapter 27: The Astronomy Tower

Harry had gone with Dumbledore to search for another Horcrux. That night, Merielle lay in her bed, feeling strangely discomforted. Something was wrong, and she could feel it. Perhaps it was gut instinct. Lavender and Parvati were asleep, but Hermione was still awake as well, worrying over Harry. Merielle blinked and shot up. Hermione was at her side in an instant.

"Ella, what's wrong?" she asked. Merielle pointed a trembling finger out of the window. Hermione gasped.

"It can't be!" She paled, "That's -isn't that the Dark Mark?"

"It is." Merielle felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, which was crawling with nerves. The Dark Mark was drifting above the Astronomy Tower. There were Death Eaters right here in the castle. But how? They hastily roused Lavender and Parvati.

"Wake anyone you can," Merielle said grimly, pulling on a cloak and shoes, "Something bad is going to happen. I know." Her heart was beating frantically as she gripped her wand. This was an emergency. She spun the band once clockwise, then twice anticlockwise. The band burned.

"Let's go." They woke up all the Gryffindor boys, then hastily rushed out of the common room. It was eerily dark, but ominous. Where were the Death Eaters? She just hoped the Order arrived in time. She was desperately waiting for the sear of heat through the band, signalling their arrival. They rounded a corner, and a Killing Curse shot past their heads, smashing into the wall behind them. That was when everything went wild. Death Eaters battling the students. The Death Eaters were outnumbered, but they were far more skilled, and dealt in the Dark Arts. Merielle ducked as a Crucio sailed over her head, spinning around to fire a stunning spell, which missed. The professors were awake, and were battling the Death Eaters as well. Bellatrix Lestrange, Amycus and Alecto Carrow, and Fenrir Greyback.

Harry peered up through the gap, which gave him a clear view of everything. Draco had his wand pointed at a defenceless Dumbledore.

"Good evening, Draco. What brings you here on this fine spring evening? Or is it summer?" Draco glanced around uneasily.

"Who else is here? I heard you talking."

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful. That which sounds sane at a whisper can seem utterly mad when said for all the world to hear. Have you been whispering to yourself, Draco?" Draco shifted his weight, discomforted.

Harry's eyes widened as he saw Merielle run past. He wanted to pull her back, but she was already up the stairs. Merielle burst out onto the Astronomy Tower.

"Professor Dumbledore, there are Death Eaters in the school. The Dark Mark -the professors and students are holding them back, but we don't know how-" She spotted Draco, who was staring at her.

"Draco? What you doing-" She looked from Draco, to Dumbledore, to the wand Draco had pointing at him. The truth dawned on her like a bucket of ice-cold water. It was horrifying. She stumbled back, her mouth opening and closing, but no sound left her lips.

"Meri, please..." Draco was desperate. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. She wasn't supposed to find out this way.

"I can't believe it," she breathed, "Please tell me this isn't what I think it is." Draco didn't answer, and her eyes widened in sickening horror.

"Merlin's beard...it's true, isn't it?"

"Meri-"

"How could you, Draco? I don't even know why I trusted you after what you did to me. But this....I can't believe it. I trusted you. I understood that you didn't want to tell me what you were up to. But I didn't think that you were here to -was it you who let the Death Eaters in?" Draco swallowed.