Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Broken and Torn

SMUT AHEAD

"Wait, what?" I asked in surprise.

"I told you, Myrtle says that there's a boy who she talks to. He's sensitive, people bully him too, he feels lonely and he hasn't got anyone to talk to. And apparently he's not afraid to show his feelings and cry," explained Harry.

"And it's apparently a 'secret'," Ron added. I frowned in thought. There was something off about the whole thing.

After dinner, I snuck out to Myrtle's bathroom. The whole situation seemed strange to me.

"Myrtle?" I called, "Myrtle?" There was a wailing sound, and Moaning Myrtle whooshed out to see me.

"What do you want?" she demanded.

"I heard that you were seeing a boy who's sensitive, people bully him too, he feels lonely and he hasn't got anyone to talk to. And apparently he's not afraid to show his feelings and cry," I quoted. Myrtle started.

"I'm not allowed to tell you!" She cried.

"Myrtle, I just want to see what's going on. It doesn't seem right, and I want to see if I can help."

"Go away!"

"Not until you tell me. I won't bother you again, I promise." I didn't know why I was making such a big deal, but my instinct kept nagging me about it. Myrtle glared at me.

"Oh alright, but only because you seem nicer than the other girls. He's meeting me in the boys bathroom at nine tonight. You can hide there," she grumbled.

"Oh, thank you!" She seemed genuinely surprised, and gave a half-smile.

At half eight, I slipped out of my dorm, wand tucked into my pocket. I made my way to the boys bathroom, where Myrtle was waiting.

"He won't forgive me for this," she snapped. I ignored her as I hid behind a stall, hiding myself from view but still giving me a clear view. Then I waited. There were footsteps and then, the last person I expected burst through.

I had to clap my hand over my mouth tightly to stop a gasp. Draco Malfoy himself leaned over a sink, his hands clenched around the basin so tightly his knuckles were white. His white-blond hair was messy, and his face was a ghastly shade, even paler than his usual tone. There was sweat running down his face, and his grey eyes were wide and panicked. I had never seen him so -vulnerable. It was then that it struck me that he hardly touched his food at mealtimes, and had grown considerably thinner. He had distanced himself from everyone and seemed shut off in his own world. Draco didn't tease or bully people any more. He didn't hang out with his friends. Even his infamous smirk was gone. How had I not put it together? But why?

My heart seemed to shatter as he let out a choked sob.

"Tell me what's wrong," Myrtle cooed.

"I can't," gasped Draco, "I have to save -my family and myself. I have to do this. I don't have a choice."

"What's the matter?"

"I -I just feel so...alone. Nobody can help me. I don't even know myself anymore. I'm a shell of the person I used to be. I just...how I wish I could just be any normal kid...I didn't realise it'd mean this...I didn't know!" He let out another strangled wail as he sank down onto the floor of the bathroom, his head in his hands. It was with a shock that I realised: Draco Malfoy was crying. Real crying. And it completely broke me. There were tears falling down his face and a ragged cry tore itself from his throat. He seemed to be in deep suffering, and my heart ached for him. Whatever was going on in his life, it was reducing him to pieces.