Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Broken Promises

At last, I received a letter from Kingsley and Alastor. They sent it in the evening, whilst I was sitting in the common room. I had lost my appetite for dinner, so I had retired early. The owl flew away as soon as I took the letter. My heart pumping, I hurried up to my dorm to read it.

Merielle,

Sorry we responded so late to your letters. We couldn't risk anything, and we were both busy. We've received all of your letters, and indeed they were all very suspicious. Keep a very close eye on everything. We have a feeling that something dark is coming. Be prepared. And don't forget about your band. As for Draco Malfoy, don't let him out of your sight. We've already started filing his case. If he does turn out guilty, you'll be our main witness. It'll do you good to start finding other witnesses who could press charges against him. Don't send a letter back unless you have something to report. We don't want to take more risks than we need. Remember, be very careful who your trust. Constant vigilance.

Regards,
K.S and A.M

I reread the letter very carefully, in case I missed something. It unnerved me to think that they were already pressing charges against Draco, in case he was found guilty. It made me anxious. What did they mean, something dark was coming? I looked outside the window. Dark thunder clouds had gathered. A murky gloom settled over Hogwarts. Something dark was indeed coming. The calm before a storm.

Harry told us that he'd had no luck with Slughorn, so he was going to take the Felix Felicis he won. If that didn't work, I really didn't know what would.

We all watched as he drained the bottle that night.

"Right, I think I'm going to visit Hagrid's now," Harry said cheerfully.

"No, Harry, you need to go to Slughorn!" Said Hermione.

"Hermione, I have a good feeling about Hagrid's," Harry reassured, leaving the common room.

"I think we should just trust him," I suggested.

It was the next day, during Charms class, that Harry told us everything once we had cast a Muffliato around us.

"Horcruxes...imagine killing people just for immortality...that's sick," I shuddered.

"You're really going to go with Dumbledore and destroy...wow," said Ron in an awed voice, "oh, and by the way, Lavender and I split up last night." Hermione was beaming.

"It was a bad night for romance all around. Ginny and Dean broke up too." She and I winked knowingly at each other. Harry tried to appear unfazed, but I knew him better than that. I was happy for my friends, that they at least had found love in their lives. I was positive about Harry and Ginny and Hermione and Ron. Maybe my love stories had all ended in tragedy, but I was contented that where I had failed, my friends had succeeded. I should just be grateful I didn't have a Romeo and Juliet tragedy.

We were both sitting in the Great Hall, having dinner. Lavender was glaring furiously at Ron, who shrank as far into his seat as possible.

"Ron, you're making it snow," I said.

"Oh, right. Sorry." Harry brushed some off of the table.

"She doesn't look very happy, does she?" Hermione whispered, and we glanced around to see a thunderous Lavender. Then I looked past her to see someone else.

"Harry, look, isn't that Katie?" Indeed it was.

"I'll go speak to her." He got up and shut the Potions book of the Half-Blood Prince.