Chapter 28

Chapter 28: The Beginning of the End

They held Dumbledore's funeral two days later. Even Cornelius Fudge attended. The air was solemn and grave. Everyone seemed to realise the horrible truth. The darkness really had caught up with them. The evil lingering in the air seemed even more prominent as everyone realised just how real it all was. Voldemort was catching up with them. It was like entering the Dark Ages all over again, just like years ago, when Voldemort was at the height of his powers. And with Albus Dumbledore, the greatest wizard who ever lived, dead, what would happen to them now? Merielle leaned into her brother's hug as she wept. Her family were all present.

Later on, she spoke to Kingsley.

"I could've stopped it," she told him bitterly, "I could've prevented his death, you know. The whole thing. Dumbledore told me to go. If I hadn't listened, I could've caught the Death Eaters and stopped his death. We wouldn't be in this situation now."

"I think you're underestimating that situation, Merielle. Those Death Eaters were some of the darkest ones. Bellatrix Lestrange was amongst them. You couldn't have stopped them, even if you tried. They would've killed you. It was inevitable. But you should be proud of yourself, knowing that at least you tried," said Kingsley firmly.

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Merielle stood at the top of the Astronomy Tower, the scene of Dumbledore's death. Harry turned the locket over in his fingers.

"It's a fake," he said bitterly, "The real locket is gone." He handed Merielle a piece of folded parchment that was lying in the locket. She opened it and read,

"To the Dark Lord. I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. R.A.B." She looked up.

"Who's R.A.B?"

"Dunno," said Harry, "But whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux. Which means it was all a waste. All of it." He turned to the three of them. "I'm not coming back, you know."

"I have to finish what Dumbledore started. I'm not sure where that'll lead me...but I'll let the three of you know where I am...when I can."

"I've always admired your courage, Harry," said Hermione, "but sometimes you can be really thick."

"You don't honestly think you can find all those Horcruxes by yourself, do you? You need us, Harry," said Merielle. He stared at them in surprise.

"You're brilliant. Really, you are."

"Do you think we'll ever come back?" Merielle asked quietly, fighting the emotion in her voice.

"I don't know," Harry answered truthfully. Merielle's thoughts drifted to Draco, but then she forcefully pushed them aside. She couldn't think about him. It was just too painful, thinking of the way he betrayed her. And besides, she had to focus on the mission at hand. Defeating Voldemort and restoring order to the world was vital, and first priority. She couldn't afford to waste time on him. She had to resolutely push all thoughts of Draco out of her mind. At least for now.

Just then, a song rose on the air, mournful and haunting. Seconds later, a bird soared out from beneath the tallest turret, wheeling away into the horizon. A phoenix. Fawkes.

The four of them stood, leaning over the rampart. They all looked to the horizon, watching the bird grow smaller while its song magically endured. No one said a word. It was the beginning of the end.

A/n: And...that's the end of year six! Let me warn you though, there's lots more coming! Plenty of action, and, of course, Draco. Can't wait for you to read the rest! It's a short paragraph, but quiet solemn and bittersweet. How do you think Merielle and Draco's lives will play out?