Chapter 29

Chapter 29: One Last Time

A dark, ominous gloom had settled over the manor. It had never been bright, but it seemed even more desolate and forlorn now, with black clouds gathered in the greying sky, and the air hung cold and crisp, even though it was summer. Not a sliver of sunshine peeked through. It was completely smothered by the darkness that had taken over the atmosphere, and the inhabitants of the manor. A cloaked figure hurried up to the front gates, flashing the mark on their arm. The gates swung open noiselessly, and they passed through, hurrying up the smooth path. White peacocks strutted along the hedges. They entered the manor, which was as cold and as dark as outside.

"Ah, Severus," smiled the figure at the head of the long, black table, "I was beginning to think you had lost your way. Take a seat." Severus Snape sat down, and Lord Voldemort began the meeting.

"Now, the Order has lost Albus Dumbledore, which has undoubtedly been a great drawback. With thanks to Severus, of course, for completing the deed. Though I suppose young Draco did give us the opportunity, but he failed in ending his headmaster's life, as I asked." There were snickers from the other Death Eaters. Draco was silent, his head bowed and his eyes downcast. He dared not even move, but swallowed. The three Malfoys were all sitting stiff and silent, constantly afraid. Their egos had been completely shattered, and there was little left of what used to be their pride and supremacy. Mere shells of who they used to be.

"Therefore, we must seize this opportunity. How has the infiltration of the Ministry come along, Yaxley?"

"Very well, my lord. I believe we are on the brink of taking over the Ministry altogether."

"Good. We must discuss the issue of Harry Potter."

"My Lord, the Order of the Phoenix intends to move Harry Potter from his current place of safety on Saturday next, at nightfall." The interest around the table sharpened palpably: Some stiffened, others fidgeted, all gazing at Snape and Voldemort.

"Saturday at nightfall," repeated Voldemort. His red eyes fastened upon Snape's black ones with such intensity that some of the watchers looked away, apparently fearful that they themselves would be scorched by the ferocity of the gaze. Snape, however, looked calmly back into Voldemort's face and, after a moment or two, Voldemorts lipless mouth curved into something like a smile.

"Good. Very good. And this information comes -"

"- from the source we discussed," said Snape.

"My Lord."

Yaxley had leaned forward to look down the long table at Voldemort and Snape.

All faces turned to him.

"My Lord, I have heard differently." Yaxley waited, but Voldemort did not speak, so he went on, "Dawlish, the Auror, let slip that Potter will not be moved until the thirtieth, the night before the boy turns seventeen." Snape was smiling.

"My source told me that there are plans to lay a false trail; this must be it. No doubt a Confundus Charm has been placed upon Dawlish. It would not be the first time; he is known to be susceptible."

"I assure you, my Lord, Dawlish seemed quite certain," said Yaxley.

"If he has been Confunded, naturally he is certain," said Snape. "I assure you, Yaxley, the Auror Office will play no further part in the protection of Harry Potter. The Order believes we have infiltrated the Ministry."

"Where are they going to hide the boy next?"

"At the home of one of the Order," said Snape. "The place, according to the source, has been given every protection that the Order and Ministry together could provide. I think that there is little chance of taking him once he is there, my Lord, unless, of course, the Ministry has fallen before next Saturday, which might give us the opportunity to discover and undo enough of the enchantments to break through the rest."