68

"Mama, how I look?" I asked standing in front of the mirror looking at my reflection

"Like you're winning tonight," she placed a hand on my shoulders standing behind me but off to the side in the mirror.

"Are you nervous?" She asked and I nodded my head a little.

The only reason she was here right now was because I was all over the place. I couldn't concentrate enough to even tie my tie so my mom ended up grabbing me something else to wear on her way over.

"Why? Roddy do you not understand all that you've accomplished this year? Without having to really do much work? You're a literal hero to these people.

"I just.. I haven't really done anything noticeable the past year but drop my first album. Everything else, it doesn't count. I just got a feeling, not a bad one but.."

"But you'll win, stay positive Roddy, I taught you better than that. Ever since you were little. You remember when your elementary school had that little competition? And you didn't think you were going to win because your cousin Nessa got up there and blew the audience away right before you got on stage. Hm?"

"I do." I chuckled.

"And what did you do?"

"I went up there and rapped my ass off." I said. "If anything, I was the next lil bow wow."

"That's right, and who won that talent show?"

I looked at her wondering if she was being serious right now.

"Nessa." I reminded her with a stale face.

"No, no, she won at first, but I insisted on a recount."

"Yeah, mama I still remember. After that for the next two weeks, my friends at school clowned me for being a sore loser." I said turning around to face her.

"But you won, when you thought you didn't. That's all I was trying to tell you." She patted my shoulder before going to grab my leather jacket from the bed.

"You look amazing honey. I'm glad you let me pick this." My mom shifted the conversation.

I smiled, "Yeah, me too..," I said as my mom fixed my collar for me.

"Son, what's on your mind?" My mom started, "I can see something bothering you but I can't pin it, so talk to me."

I licked my lips, looking at my self in the mirror once more before I turned to my mom.

"Tristen still downstairs?" I asked and she nodded, "She's getting Milo's snack ready, what's wrong?" She sat in the chair in the corner of the room.

"Ma, I gotta tell you somethin," I said lowly since the door was open.

I sat on the edge of my bed, leaning foreword, "So, I know you and my pops was young when y'all met.. but did y'all consider each other the one for another?" I asked.