Chapter 24

This chapter is a dedication to my grandfather. I hope you will all love it. May he rest in peace. I love you, my appachan (means grandfather in malayalam).

Niki's POV:

I can't believe today is the day that my grandfather had passed away. He meant so much to me, and had taken care of me as a child. I could never forget his appearance and kindness. My grandfather is always dressed nicely. He would feel shy, but tends to be friendly.

My grandfather was an artist. He would draw realistic drawings and show them to me. I was always fascinated on how he draws, and that's how I decided to be an artist just like him.

Not only my grandfather was an inspiration to me, but he was also a great teacher. My grandfather was the one who taught me some new powers, and how to control my magic. After all, he also had powers as well. I could never deny his capability to use magic.

Before I met Michael, my grandfather was the only one who looks out for me. We used to have our time together. My grandather would play with me while my parents were working.

He would always take me to the park, go to the zoo, and even museuems. He even let me see his shaving kit, and let me see him use it. Call me weird or not, I missed my grandfather very much. I will never forget my grandfather, and he'll always be dear to my heart.

I remembered what happened when I heard about the news. It was late at night and I was reading my book, until my parents brought out the devastating news that my grandfather passed away. Before he died, my grandfather had dementia.

He couldn't remember much; he didn't talk much, and couldn't eat. However, what's very interesting was that my grandfather was able to remember me. I guess he was able to remember, since I was like his good companion.

I know that he was suffering before, but now at least he doesn't have to suffer no more. At least he died peacefully at home, instead of dying in hospital suffering. That is the truth, and I know that he'll be watching over me.

I told Michael all about my grandfather, and felt so touched about it. "I never thought your grandfather could teach you magic," he said, astonishingly.

"Yeah," I said. "My grandfather was the best grandfather/teacher that I could ever had. I just wish he's there in person, to see me and how I have you."

"Well I'm pretty sure that your grandfather already knows, and he must say that he's proud of you for what you have become," Michael said, cheeringly.

"I know," I said, smiling sweetly. "Thank you, baby."

He smiles and kisses my forhead. "You're welcome," Michael said. "I'll always love and support you."

"Yeah," I said, looking down a little bit. "I miss him so much, though. I could never forget him."

Michael strokes my hair and said, "I know you do, but at least he died peacfully. Not only that, he can still remember you. He has all of his memories with you, and will keep them, forever."

I smiled and hugged him tightly. "You're so sweet to me, Michael," I said.

"I'm always concerned about my girl," Michael said, while hugging back. "And I'm pretty sure you're grandfather is happy to see you be with someone, who can take care of you." 

I smiled and kissed his lips. "And I'm happy that you care for me, the most." 

Michael smiles and caresses my cheek. "I always do, baby. Why don't we visit his grave? If you don't want to, I understand." 

"No it's ok," I said. "I've already been through so much grief, and now I can overcome it; knowing that I'm not alone to be sad and lonely forever, because I have you." 

"Ok baby," he said, while rubbing my back. "Let's go." 

 Michael's Pov: 

We finally arrive at Niki's grandfather's grave, just one hour later. Flowers were already there before us. Who knew he was being beloved by others, not only just Niki. Niki did told me during our ride to the cemetery, everyone loved him, becasue of his shyness and kindness. Everyone not only her family, but also his friends and neighbors. He's just a man who's been loved for so long, that everyone misses him so much. They can never forget him. 

As we stand on Niki's grandfather's grave, Niki kneels down and places sunflowers on his grave. "Here you go grandfather," Niki said, as she puts them down. "I have your favorite flowers. I know that sunflowers were your favorite." 

I smiled and said, "Those were my favorite as well." 

Niki turns to me and smiles. Then, she faces her grandfather's grave. "Grandpa," she continues. "I still remember you to visit, and I will never forget it. You always mean a lot to me, and my family. Most of all, you mean a lot to me. I will never forget your bashfulness, kindness, and your talents. I will always remember you and your memories we had together, and it will live on forever." 

Suddenly, I saw a tear running down her cheek, and I kneel down beside her; trying to comfort her by wrapping my arm around shoulder. "It's ok, Niki," I said, in a low voice. 

I turn to see Niki's grandfather's grave and said, "Mr. Gardner, I promise to take care of your granddaughter, as no one has ever done before. I will make sure to take good care of her, just like you did." 

Niki smiled warmly and burried her head on my chest, still crying. "I am so glad to have you, Michael," she sobbed. "I'm sure my grandfather will be happy to hear that." 

I smiled and rubbed her. "I'm sure he will." 

I kissed her head and hold her tight, until we came back to our apartment together.