SIXTY ONE

» [do it for me- rosenfeld] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:40
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"Dropping to 2,000 feet." Howard's voice came over the radio and Evelyn instantly rushed over talk to him along with Peggy.

"Howard, it's Peggy and Bernie." Peggy clicked the button on the microphone so that Howard could clearly hear the pair.

"Peg, Bernie. I found his signal." Howard sounded so happy and it broke Evelyn's heart. "I'm almost there."

The brunette lowered her head and allowed a few tears to form. She missed Steve dearly and she would jump at the chance of getting him back, but unfortunately she knew that wasn't an option.

"Howard, it's Bernie, can you hear me?" Evelyn paused and waited for his response, only for him to fall silent. "You need to turn back around, come home."

"I'm gonna bring him home, Bernie." Howard sounded so sincere and it broke Evelyn's heart. "You'll have a brother again."

Evelyn wasn't quite sure how to react. Nobody could ever replace Bucky or Steve. She grew up with both boys and Steve did become like a brother to her. But she had accepted that he was gone.

"Fennhoff has put this fantasy in your mind. He's trying to get you to deploy the gas over civilians." Peggy cut in after noticing the way that Evelyn's face faltered.

"Don't worry about that, Peg. There are no civilians where I am." Howard attempted to reassure the girls. But they knew better, they knew that he was heading straight for Manhattan.

There was a silence that consumed the room. Evelyn grabbed the radio from Peggy and let go of a deep sigh before saying,

"Howard, can you hear me? You need to come back." Evelyn pleaded, her eyes filling with unshed tears.

"I know this sounds crazy, but that-that guy, Fennhoff, he actually helped me. He-he showed me how to do this. I'm bringing Cap back, Bernie." Howard sounded so happy as he spoke.

The thing that upset Evelyn the most wasn't the idea of having Steve back, because she knew it was too late for that, but it was the way that Howard sounded so convinced that he was actually going to find Steve.

"Howard, turn the plane around." Peggy begged, tears threatening to spill. "Come back, and we'll talk about it."

"I can't do that." Howard paused. "Done talking."

With every second that passed, both of them knew that he was getting closer to Manhattan. They knew that in less than a few minutes everyone would be trying to kill one another.

"No, wait." Evelyn snapped trying to get him to stay on the line.

"Miss Carter, Doctor Barnes?" Jarvis' voice came over the radio. "I have Mr Stark's plane in my sights. We are one mile from land."

Evelyn wanted to tell Jarvis not to take the shot. She couldn't lose Howard as well as her brother and Steve. She wasn't finished grieving. She didn't want to loose him too.

"Miss Carter, Doctor Barnes, should I take the shot?" Jarvis questioned again. "Miss Carter, Doctor Barnes can you hear me? Please answer me."

"No! We need more time." Evelyn responded to Jarvis, she didn't want him to take the shot without them exhausting all of their options.

"We don't have more time." Jarvis told the brunette.

"Do not take the shot until myself or Doctor Barnes tells you, Mr Jarvis." Peggy snapped, frustrated with the whole situation.

Peggy nodded towards Evelyn, who was still holding the radio they were using to talk to Howard. They needed to try again.

"Howard, Steve, he's gone. Over a year ago he died. But you're still here, so come back home." Evelyn pleaded, she allowed a few stray tears to roll down her cheeks.

"There's something up ahead." Howard pointed out, which meant that he was nearing New York. "It's him. I can fix this!"

"You don't have to fix anything." Evelyn attempted to reassure him.

"Bernie, all I've done my whole life is create destruction. Project Rebirth was-He was the one thing I've done that brought good into this world." Howard explained.

He felt guilty for the death of Steve and the rest of the chaos that his inventions had made.

"Howard, I know you loved him." Peggy spoke up, her voice cracking as she did so. "I loved him too, and so did Bernie. But this won't bring him back."

"Howard you are the one person on this earth who believes in me, in both of us, we can not lose you, please come home." Evelyn let go of a sob, she needed Howard. "Steve is gone. We need to move on. We have to let him go."

"Bernie?" Howard questioned after a moment of silence. "He was good before I got ahold of him, huh?"

Evelyn let go of a soft chuckle, knowing that it was working, they were breaking through the hypnosis. She just hoped it wouldn't be too late.

"Yes, he was. Where are you?" Evelyn whispered.

"Evidently flying a plane to Manhattan." Howard sounded so confused, not that anyone could blame him. "I guess you can explain that to me once I land."

"Mr Jarvis, he's alright, stand down." Peggy told the man.

Evelyn couldn't imagine how happy he must have been not to take down the plane that Howard was in.

"Thank goodness, tell Mr Stark to follow me back." Jarvis responded. "I'll bring him home."