FIFTY THREE

» [what a time- julia michaels] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:04
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Time had gone by slowly after the explosion. Evelyn sat on the end of Jack's desk, with her legs pulled into her chest and tears streaming down her face. She couldn't even think straight, she had been so close to dying, but not only that, Chief Dooley had died.

Jack noticed the girl shaking and quietly sobbing to herself, so he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his chest. Evelyn allowed him to pull her into his lap, she clung onto his shirt so tightly that her knuckles turned white. She was so scared to let go.

"I've got you, darling, everything's okay." Jack whispered into the girls hair.

Evelyn tilted back her head to look up at the man, her eyes were bloodshot and her lips were chapped but he still thought she looked beautiful.

Jack brought his hand up to cup her cheek, his thumb running over her lips lightly. He pressed his forehead against hers and let out a small breath. He could have lost her today. And that was so scary to him.

He slowly leant down and pressed his lips to hers momentarily, he didn't care that the other agents may have seen or made fun of him for being soft or taking a liking to the girl. All he cared about was her.

Evelyn pulled away first and allowed herself to become even more choked up at the events that had just unfolded in front of her. She wanted to be happy with him. She wanted to allow him to hold her in his arms forever. She buried her head into the crook of his neck and closed her eyes.

"What happened?" Sousa questioned as he walked up to the pair. He thought he would hold off for a moment once he saw them kissing. He didn't want to be the kind of person who interrupted.

Plus, he had a bet with Yauch that they would get together within the next few months, Yauch said they wouldn't get together until Christmas. Thankfully, Sousa was right but he didn't think now would be the best time to collect his money.

"They got chief." Jack announced as he traced patterns on Evelyn's back, hoping it would help to comfort her but he knew better.

He felt Evelyn tense beneath him, so he began to gently rock her. He knew what it felt like to be terrified for your life. He knew how scared she must have felt. And he would do anything to take that fear away from her.

"I did this. Ivchenko brought me to him so that I would bring him to the SSR." Peggy announced as she spoke to Jarvis. "This is my fault."

Evelyn could faintly over hear Peggy talking to Jarvis. Although she tried her hardest to ignore the conversation and just focus on Jack's slow heart rate.

"No, Miss Carter. This is not your fault. This is Mr Starks bloody inventions." Jarvis seethed.

The brunette slowly pulled away from Jack, causing him to furrow his brows. He wanted her to stay by his side but he made sure to keep his eyes on her at all time as she walked over to Jarvis and wrapped her arms around his torso.

Jarvis and Evelyn went way back, they had always been fair close and she always made time to see him and Ana. Jarvis' hand cupped the back of Evelyn's head and held her tightly, thanking God that she was okay and alive.

"You're right." Peggy nodded, reaching out and placing a comforting hand on Evelyn's bicep. She was thankful that her best friend was safe. "Leviathan tasked alert Brannis to steal something. What was it?"

Evelyn's heart dropped once she made eye contact with Peggy. She quickly turned to face Jack, panic laced in her voice as she whispered,

"The blood."

Evelyn wasted no time in jumping up and running towards the lab, she needed to make sure that Steve's blood was safe.

Jack jumped up and rushed after the girl, the last thing that he wanted was to let Evelyn out of his sight and for her to be hurt. He wouldn't be able to live with himself.

The brunette slammed the laboratory doors open and made eye contact with all the scientists. Her heart rate increased once she saw the small sphere, she slowly walked towards it and clicked the button to open it. She let out a breath that she didn't even know she was holding once she saw that the vial was safe. She didn't know what she would have done if Ivchenko had taken it.

"We need to find out what Ivchenko took." Peggy ordered as she looked around at all of the scientists and agents.

"Search every crate." Sousa shouted, but Evelyn made no effort to move. She just grabbed the sphere and held it close to her heart. All she wanted was a hug from her two boys.

Jack began to look for any missing items, they needed to account for everything. If one thing was missing, they were in some deep trouble.

"Item 17. It's gone." The Doctor spoke.

"All right. What's that do?" Jack questioned, placing his hand over Evelyn's shoulder and pulling her into his chest. His lips connected with her temple and he watched as she close her eyes, instantly feeling comforted by him.

Evelyn held the sphere tightly in her hands as Jack held her. She just wanted to go home. She wanted to rest and sleep the rest of the day off. Tomorrow, hopefully she could start again, but she knew that she was thinking way to optimistically.

Jarvis stuttered over his words for a minute, trying to think of what item 17 was. He looked across to Evelyn, who didn't seem to be fully there. After today's events she had kind of shut herself away and put up a wall.

"I have no idea." Jarvis responded nervously.