THREE

» [i don't want to set the world on fire-the ink spots] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:11
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"So far, six pieces of Stark's technology have turned up either on the black market or in the arsenals of enemy states." Chief Dooley spoke as he leant against the table.

His eyes flickered around the Agents before landing on Evelyn, he wondered what she was doing in the briefing room but decided not to question it. He knew that she was a friend of Howard's, so maybe she would have had some intel on him.

Plus, she was a damn good therapist and some sort of mind reader. Truthfully, he didn't know what to call her these days. She knew about his situation with his wife the first day that it happened, he walked into her office and sat down and she instantly knew what was wrong.

Hopefully she would be able to do the same with Howard Stark.

"He's been waffling on the Hill, treating the whole thing like a joke. Yesterday was the final day of hearings. Stark didn't show. They checked his half a dozen houses and his half a dozen offices...Nothing." Chief Dooley continued.

Evelyn furrowed her brows, wondering why they didn't search the house of his that she was staying in. She couldn't help but wonder if they didn't check because they didn't think she was capable of hiding him or if they just simply missed the house.

After Bucky died, Howard was kind enough to give the girl one of his house along with a few bodyguards to keep her safe. He knew full well that she knew everyone's secrets from when she spoke to them so he wanted to keep her safe from anyone would try to bring her harm.

"So, as of this moment, Howard Stark is not only in contempt of Congress, he's a fugitive from justice. Find him. Squeeze him till he loses his sense of humor. Thompson. You're lead." Chief Dooley instructed.

Jack nodded before placing his folder down on the table and linking his hands together before saying,

"I'll ground his planes, freeze his bank accounts. There's a girl at First Federal who wants to owe me a favor." Jack made sure to look over at Krzeminski as he spoke, making the man scoff in response.

Evelyn averted her eyes, she took a quick glance towards Peggy, wondering what she was thinking about the whole situation. Both of them were friends with Howard and couldn't imagine him ever doing nothing to betray their trust.

"Sir, I really must object." Peggy spoke up, taking a small step forward. She stood at the back of the room, mainly because most of the other agents dismissed her, but she had to remind herself that she was a woman in a man's world and she was lucky to even be in the room.

"Why am I not surprised?" Chief Dooley questioned as he motioned towards Peggy.

"I knew Howard Stark during the war. His help was invaluable. He may be a great many things, but he's not a traitor." Peggy responded calmly despite the Chief's snappy tone.

Evelyn nodded in agreement, which didn't go unnoticed by Jack. He shook his head at her, silently telling her to stay quiet and not say a word. She anxiously chewed on her bottom lip and fiddled with the cuffs on her sleeve. Despite how much she hated being told what to do, she knew that he was only trying to look out for her.

"We're all aware of your record, agent. I'm sure being Captain America's-" Chief Dooley paused. "-liaison... brought you into contact with all sorts of interesting people. But the war's over."

Just at the mention of Steve, Evelyn's eyes teared up. Evelyn missed Steve and Bucky so much, those boys were her life. She quickly cleared her throat before turning and facing Chief Dooley saying,

"I'm sorry, Chief, but Agent Carter is right, Howard wouldn't do some-" Evelyn was almost instantly cut off the second that she tried to challenge the Chief's suggestion about Peggy.

"Sweetie," Chief Dooley looked towards Evelyn, shaking his head patronisingly. "Let the professionals decide who's worth going after." With that, he left the room, followed by a few other Agents.

Evelyn clenched her jaw, shaking her head at his statement. She normally got along with Chief Dooley, he came in to see her every now and again to talk about his issues with his wife. Evelyn always advised him to go back home rather than sleeping in his office, although he was yet to listen.

"Sounds like Carter knew a lot of guys during the war." Krzeminski chuckled as he turned to face Evelyn. A few of the other agents laughed, but Evelyn shook her head before standing up.

Jack's hand found the small of Evelyn's back as he guided her out of the briefing room before she could say anything about the way that Krzeminski had spoken about Peggy.

"He shouldn't talk about her that way. It's rude and disrespectful and-" Evelyn muttered angrily as Jack grabbed her bicep and span her around, preventing her from heading towards her office. "Yes?"

Jack let out a small sigh, his hand reaching up to tuck some of her brown hair out of he eyes. She tried to contain her blush as he did so, but she couldn't help it as her cheeks heated up. Evelyn quickly looked down towards her shoes, so that he didn't see her blushing but it was too late.

He slowly leant down and whispered into the girls ear,

"Is it time for our daily therapy session yet, Doc?" He grabbed his case files, that he was was going to pass off to Peggy in a moment.

She felt a shiver travel down her spine as his warm breath hit her neck, making the hairs stand on end. She let go of a shaky breath and tried to maintain her composure.

Evelyn took a step back, standing up straight and holding her head high as Jack looked down at her with a cocky smile. She hated that he was a great deal taller than her, mainly because she had to look up at him and she was sure that his height gave him a power trip.

"Has anyone annoyed you today? Has anyone made you want to beat or hurt someone?" Evelyn questioned raising her brows as she did so. Jack cleared his throat before shaking his head and saying,

"Not yet, but I'm sure I could find someone." He smirked teasingly as he spoke.

The girl slowly began to walk backwards towards her office. Jack admired her confidence, not once did she turn to look at where she was going to stop in fear that she might bump into someone. Instead, she walked with so much confidence and it wasn't something that he often saw from her unless she was inside her office.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you did, Agent. You still have forty minutes until your usual time." Evelyn said as she took a quick glimpse at the clock. "But until then."