THIRTY FOUR

» [hungry eyes- eric carmen] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:22
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Jack looked through his binoculars at the building, there was no sign of moment or vehicles. It looked abandoned.

"Looks like we beat the bad guys here." Jack spoke up as he turned to face the group again. He flashed a small smile to Evelyn, who had her arm linked with Junior.

"So we could have slept for another hour?" Dum-Dum questioned as Jack handed the binoculars back to Ramirez.

"Well, then we wouldn't have the advantage of surprise, would we, Timothy?" Peggy questioned as she raised her brows to turn and face the man.

Evelyn let out a small giggle, making Dum-Dum to shoot her a playful glare. The girl plastered a pout on her face, which caused him to wink at her.

"So, we infiltrate in four teams of two you, you, you, us. Evie, you're with me." Jack pointed at the girl, causing her to slowly nod. "No weapons discharge unless absolutely necessary. Meet on the ground floor in 30. Clear?"

Nobody made an effort to move. Evelyn knew that The Howling Commandos wouldn't listen to Jack without any word from Peggy or even herself.

"Carter?" Sawyer spoke up before anyone else.

"Agent Thompson's lead." Peggy knew better than to undermine the man. He was in charge of the mission and she was lucky to even be here with them.

"You got a better idea? Let's hear it." Jack encouraged.

He knew that The Howling Commandos respected her. He knew that if he didn't listen to her ideas that they wouldn't listen to or follow him.

"Four teams of two is faster. Two teams of four is safer. Discretion seems to be the order of the day. We don't know what we're walking into." Peggy responded swiftly.

Junior looked down at the small brunette who was latched onto his arm. He was particularly fond of her, he definitely had a soft spot for her, more so than the others. They both came into one another's lives at hard times, he couldn't imagine being without her.

"Okay. You four. Happy Sam, Pinkerton, Ramirez, you're with me. Good?" Jack didn't hate the idea of Peggy's, it was smart. So, he went along with it. "Doc, you're with me, let's go."

"Yes, Lieutenant." Evelyn playfully saluted but didn't make any effort to move just yet.

Dum-Dum didn't seem overly happy with the choice. All of The Howling Commandos were overly protective of the girl. After all she was one of them, she was their family.

"I think Bernie should come with us. We promised her brother and Steve that we'd look after her and that's what we're going to do." Dum-Dum held his head up highly and his chest puffed out as he spoke.

Jack took a step forward, shaking his head and scoffing. If there was one thing he was will to fight about with The Howling Commandos, it was Evelyn. 

"She's coming with me. Evie is under the protection of the SSR. It's safe for her if some comes with me." Jack kept eye contact with the man the whole time.

"We promised her brother." Dum-Dum wasn't about to back down.

Evelyn's eyes flickered between the two men. She'd feel safe enough with either of the groups. She knew for a fact that no one she was with would let anyone harm a hair on her head. She trusted them with her life.

"It's different for me." Jack snapped, running his hand over his face frustratedly.

"Mhm, why?" Dum-Dum questioned knowingly.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that Jack was sweet on Evelyn. He loved her, that much was clear. Dum-Dum looked towards Evelyn, who had taken a step back to hide behind Junior.

"Is it really just because she's got your secrets?" Dum-Dum continued to question as Jack didn't say anything. "Is it because she knows everything about you and your organisation, or is there another reason?"

"Timothy, that's enough." Evelyn stepped forward, placing her hand on Dum-Dum's chest and looking up to him warningly. "Agent Thompson is right, I'm here under the protection of the SSR, I should go with him."

Evelyn turned to face Jack with furrowed brows, wondering what Dum-Dum had meant about 'another reason'. She wanted to ask him, but she knew that he probably wouldn't tell her anything in front of everyone.

"Bernie." Dum-Dum pulled out a small pistol gun and handed it to her.

Jack went to object, he didn't like the idea of her using a gun, despite him being the one that taught her how to use them.

"This used to be Bucky's." Dum-Dum explained as he showed her the grip, which had 'J.B.B.' engraved into it.

"James Buchanan Barnes." Evelyn smiled and ran her fingers over the engraving. It brought a small tear to her eyes as she looked up to Dum-Dum. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms tightly around him, burying her head into his chest.

"Thank you." She whispered softly before taking a step back.

Jack placed his hand on the small of her back, steadying her to that she didn't stumble. He looked down at her and offered her a sympathetic smile, knowing that it must be hard to not have her brother around anymore.

"Stay safe, Bernie." Junior pointed at the girl as he scrunched up his nose almost playfully.

"You too." Evelyn smiled sweetly.

Peggy and Jack nodded at one another, both ready to lead their separate groups into the building. Neither of them knew what they would find, which made them both incredibly anxious.

"Evie, you ready to go?" Jack asked, his eyes softening as he spoke to her. Evelyn nodded in response. "Aces." Jack mumbled, placing his hand on the small of her back and guiding her in the opposite direction of the others.

He didn't want to let the girl out of his sight. He cared too much about her, which is why he was against her going with Peggy's group. He wouldn't have been able to protect her.