THIRTY FIVE

» [glory days- the federal empire] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:15
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Jack lead everyone through the different hallways of the building. Evelyn held Bucky's gun tightly, she didn't want to loose it, especially not since Dum-Dum trusted her with it.

The brunette jumped once she heard the bullet being fired. She didn't even hesitate in running in the direction of where it came from.

"EVELYN!" Jack shouted, his eyes widening as he sprinted after the girl. "Wait." He shouted again, once the girl didn't stop.

Evelyn came to a stop once she reached what looked like a dorm room. Her eyes flickered around to Mike, Dum-Dum and Peggy.

"Oh my God." She covered her mouth in shock and rushed over to where Junior laid lifelessly. She crouched over his body, tears streaming down her face as she desperately searched for a pulse.

"What happened?" Jack questioned as he held his gun up high.

"There's a good chance Leviathan has been alerted to our presence." Peggy responded.

Dum-Dum made his way over to the girl, he placed his hands on her shoulders. He tried pulled her up and away from Junior. She didn't need to see him like that. He knew it's not what he would have wanted. But the girl pushed him off, clinging onto Junior.

"We've come too far to turn back now." Jack responded as he lowered his gaze to Evelyn.

"We need to move...quickly." Peggy nodded in agreement.

Peggy tried to help Dum-Dum move the girl away. She knew how close they were. It probably felt like she'd lost another brother.

"Get off me." Evelyn shouted, pushing back both Peggy and Dum-Dum.

Dum-Dum looked up to Jack for help. He saw how much the man comforted the girl, just from the short amount of time they spend with one another.

Jack nodded, understanding Dum-Dum's desperate look. He slowly made his way to kneel down beside the girl.

"Come on, Evie." He whispered softly, wrapping his arms around the girl and pulling her into his chest.

Evelyn collapsed into the man's chest, she clung onto his shirt desperately. Her loud sobs were the only thing heard in the room. She'd never let anyone seen her be like this before, she always put on a brave face in front of the people she worked along side.

Dum-Dum pulled the dog tags from around Juniors neck and shared a sympathetic smile with Peggy. They lost a family member today.

"We're gonna need an exit out the back." Dum-Dum spoke. They needed to get out. He needed to honour his promise to both Bucky and Steve and keep Evelyn safe.

"We can't leave until we know who's setting Howard up. Dugan, Pinky, Ramirez, find a back way out of here. The rest, come with me." Peggy instructed as she stood up. "Agent Thompson, keep Doctor Barnes extra close."

Jack nodded and pulled Evelyn up to her feet. Evelyn wiped away her tears and replaced her solemn look with a blank facial expression. She was still hurting inside. But if Bucky taught her one thing, it was to fight first and grieve later.

Evelyn ran her fingers over Bucky's gun, flicking off the safety; ready to kill anyone to got in her way.

Peggy lead them through the hallways, searching for an exit and the person who was setting up Howard. She owed it to the man to find the person setting him up.

Sawyer rushed a head first, firing at anyone who was firing their way. Jack was around the corner next, his eyes flickering down the hallway to double check that Sawyer saw and killed everyone.

"Sawyer, stay here. Keep an eye out. Rest of you are with me." Jack instructed, his eyes flickering up and down Evelyn. He checked every cell as they went by. "Clear." He then came to a stop at the next cell, which had two people inside.

"You are not Leviathan." The man spoke in a thick Russian accent. "Who are you?"

"We're the good guys." Peggy responded honestly. "Why is Leviathan holding you prisoner?"

"They acquired some schemata in the black market. A weapon they don't know how to build. They want us to build it for them." Ivchenko responded as he leant on the gaps between the bars of the cell.

Evelyn rested her head on Jack's bicep. Jack looked down at the girl, pressing his lips against her head and wrapping his arms tightly around her.

"So you're engineers?" Peggy questioned raising her brows.

"He is the engineer. I serve as Nikola's therapist- psychiatrist." Ivchenko shrugged as he looked back at the man hiding behind the bed.

Jack looked down at Evelyn. She was in no right frame of mind to assess the man to see if he was lying to them. He knew that she was hurting.

"So the Reds locked up a head doctor and a mad scientist to build a bomb. Sure, why not?" Jack muttered with a scoff.

He didn't trust them, he didn't know if it was because he'd spend so much time with Evelyn that he'd began to pick up on her techniques of knowing when someone was lying or if it was something else.

"He is not mad. He is burdened." Ivchenko snapped. "Look, he sees things in dimensions that we can only imagine. You look at a field of grass, you see pretty picture. He sees biology, phytochemistry. Keeping his gifts from overwhelming him. This requires discipline, stability. Since Leviathan took his family, stability does not come easy." He paused before pointing towards himself. "I provide the discipline he needs."

"This weapon Leviathan wants you to build what is it?" Peggy questioned curiously.

Evelyn wrapped her arms around Jack's torso and buried her head into the crook of his neck. He was the only person bringing her comfort right now.

"Oh, it's beautiful. It's a photonic amplifier." Nikola spoke as he grabbed the blueprints. "Okay, you understand light is both particles and waves?" Peggy nodded. "Mr. Stark has found a way of altering the behavior of the waves."

"Stark." Jack muttered, resting his head on top of Evelyn's and tracing a small pattern on her back.

"Yeah. Of course. It's his design right here." Nikola pointed to Howard's name in the corner of the blue prints.

Evelyn pulled away from Jack. Her brows were furrowed as she scanned the men up and down. Something about it still wasn't adding up for her so she asked,

"Is Howard Stark here?"

"No, of course not. They stole the schemata. I mean, if he was here, the Leviathan would have no need for me. If he was here, I would be in Kiev with my wife." Nikola was clearly getting worked up, so Jack pulled Evelyn out of his sight.

"You thought you would find Howard Stark here? That's why you came? I have heard no mention of Stark himself from our captors. Only the work." Ivchenko spoke as he looked towards Peggy.

"Incoming!" Sawyer shouted as a round of bullets was fired.