FIFTY NINE

» [everybody loves you- jenn grant ] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:41
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"So, now we got to tell the whole world we're chumps. They've been planning this whole thing since the beginning." Jack spoke as they exited the hotel.

He shoved his hands into his coat pocket and waited for Evelyn to link her arm with his. A small smile formed on both their faces. They loved been close to one another, it felt right, it felt natural.

"No, they couldn't have. Could they? Kidnapping Howard couldn't have been part of their original plan. They didn't know he was here until the press conference." Peggy responded almost instantly.

"So if they don't want him dead, what do they want?" Jack questioned as the sound of sirens were heard in the back ground, causing the girl to jump in response.

Just at the thought of Howard dying put her on edge. Evelyn wasn't quite sure how she would cope if something happened to another person that she cared about.

"Howard said Fennhoff wants to punish him. Whatever they've planned, it must be a fate worse than death. We need to determine what his next target is." Peggy pulled the couple to a stop on the sidewalk. "The movie house was a test."

"So they got to be planning something bigger. Statue of Liberty? Empire State?" Jack questioned.

Evelyn looked around, pushing their conversation too one side and noticed all the women carrying American flags and the men in smart outfits or their army uniforms.

"Today's May 8th." Evelyn spoke up, cutting of Peggy from whatever she was saying. "It's V.E. Day. They're going to hit Times Square." The girl concluded, Jack nodded in response and the three of them rushed off to find Sousa as well as cancel the celebration.

"We just talked to every muckity-muck in the city, trying to call off the V.E. day celebration." Jack announced as he and Evelyn walked towards Sousa, Peggy and Jarvis. "They won't do it. Already 100,000 people packed into Times Square. We won't have enough time to evacuate." Jack shrugged.

Evelyn felt his arms wrap tightly around her waist and slowly begin to trace patterns. She closed her eyes and he gently swayed them. As much as Evelyn liked working for the SSR, it certainly was frustrating.

"He could have stashed those canisters anywhere." Sousa muttered as he looked across to Peggy.

"The gas was designed to be deployed by air." Peggy responded optimistically.

"Which is why we shut down all the airports." Sousa informed the group. "And every private airfield in the area."

That was when Evelyn noticed Jarvis' concerned expression. He almost looked panicked, it took a moment for it to click in her head as to why. But she still asked to double check that Howard hadn't gotten rid of his private planes.

"Eddie, what are you thinking?" The girl anxiously chewed on her nail.

Jarvis looked up from the floor and made eye contact with the blue eyed girl. He felt his heart drop, almost as if he couldn't believe how oblivious he had been previously.

"I think I know where Dr. Fennhoff is headed." Jarvis spoke slowly, anxiously scratching the back of his neck as he did so.

"Where?" Peggy questioned, turning to face the taller man.

"If his intention is to place blame for the attack on Mr. Stark, would it not be most effective to use one of Mr. Stark's own planes?" Jarvis answered, raising his brows questioningly.

If it wasn't for Jarvis, the SSR would still be very much in the dark about Howard and his planes as well as his other inventions. If it wasn't for Jarvis, she'd be dead. Evelyn owed the man her life.

"He can't. We confiscated them all." Jack shrugged, the idea of Howard using his own plane was impossible, since the SSR had access to them all.

"Not all." Jarvis' voice cracked as he spoke, something that mainly happened whenever he was anxious.

The girl had to bite back a chuckle. She wasn't even surprised, in fact, she had a feeling that Howard still had many of his inventions and planes. It was just the type of person Howard was. There was no way that he would tell everyone about where he stored all of his things.

Evelyn was sure that even she didn't know about some, the only person who knew absolutely everything about Howard was Jarvis. He did everything for the man, Jarvis was extremely trustworthy, so she understood why Howard told him everything.

"Hmm?" Jack's grip on Evelyn tightened, causing the girl to placed her hands over his and run her thumbs along his knuckles soothingly.

Jack almost instantly relaxed at her touch. He placed a soft kiss on the top of her head, making the girl blush in response. If there was one thing that she didn't expect, it was for Jack to be so publicly affectionate.

She had expected him to want to keep whatever they were a secret.

Not that Evelyn would have minded, there's something thrilling about secrets. Knowing something that no one else did. She could just imagine sneaking around the SSR office, kissing one another when no ones looking, the longing touches, the constant 'therapy' sessions for Jack.

The girl had to clear her throat and shake her head to stop her raving thoughts. Although, she couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at the idea, causing Jack to give her waist a light squeeze.

"Go ahead and tell us, Eddie." Evelyn encouraged.

She knew Jarvis, she knew that he would be intimidated by the agents. It's just the type of man that he was. Jarvis was a good man and never wanted to disappoint anyone. No matter what situation Evelyn had been in, she always knew that she could trust Jarvis and that he would be there for her.

"There is another vault. Considerably larger than the first." Jarvis managed to say, causing everyone other than Evelyn to look at him in shock.

"Oh come on, It's Howard Stark for Christ sake, is anyone even surprised anymore?" Evelyn questioned rather bluntly. It wasn't like none of them weren't expecting it.