FIFTY ONE

» [mind over matter- young the giant] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:02
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn jumped once she heard the pounding on the office door. Her eyes flew open and instantly noticed that it was Jack knocking on the Chief's door, with all the other agents and Jarvis surrounding them.

"Chief Dooley." Peggy shouted in hopes to wake him up. "CHIEF."

"Roger." Evelyn spoke, causing him to stir in his sleep. He let out a small groan and slowly sat up and looked between Jack and Evelyn. He wished he hadn't woken up, he was dreaming about his family, which brought him the slightest bit of peace and happiness.

Evelyn's eyes filled with panic once she saw how close all of the agents were to the office. If the vests were to blow now, everyone would be dead. She didn't want to hurt anyone, she just wanted to go alone, she didn't want to put anyone in danger.

Everyone at the office meant a lot to her, she cared about each of them deeply, some more than others, but nevertheless she still cared about them. She couldn't imagine injuring anyone of them, it would be like her worse nightmare.

"You okay?" Jack shouted as he looked towards Evelyn, he could feel his heart racing. If Ivchenko even laid a single finger on her, he wouldn't hesitate on killing the man.

Jack couldn't help but feel guilty about the situation they were in, it was him who told her to stay with Chief Dooley and Ivchenko, it would be his fault if something was going to happen to them.

Evelyn watched as Chief Dooley slowly walked towards the door to unlock it. Jack didn't hesitate in rushing towards Evelyn and untying her restraints. He instantly pulled her up and allowed his fingers to gently brush over the marks that the restraints had made.

"It's okay," He whispered. "I've got you now. And I'm never letting you go again." He pressed his lips against her head.

All she wanted him to do was hold her tightly. She just wanted to go home and crawl into bed and listen to the radio. But unfortunately, she knew that wasn't what was about to happen.

Evelyn's bottom lip quivered as she pulled away and looked up to Jack. She placed her hand on his face and allowed her thumb to run along his cheek. Jack furrowed his brows, wondering what was happening.

"I wish that's all we had to worry about, Jackie." She whispered softly as she slowly made her way out of the office with Chief Dooley.

Her eyes landed on Jarvis, who instantly caught onto what both her and Chief Dooley were wearing. He knew the damage that the vests could cause. Both of them knew that this was the end of the line for Evelyn.

"Oh, my God. Very calmly now, everybody stand clear, please. Miss Carter, stand clear." Jarvis spoke, pulling Peggy back. "Mr. Thompson, stand back, please." He instructed once he noticed that Jack hadn't left Evelyn's side.

Jack looked down at Evelyn, he didn't want to leave her side, he didn't care what the vests did, he never wanted to let her out of his sight again. Evelyn placed her hand on Jack's bicep before stepping away from him.

"He's gone, isn't he?" Chief Dooley questioned about Ivchenko.

"What is that?" Panicked Peggy, not only was the vest on her boss but also her best friend. She wasn't quite sure how to react, so she tried her hardest to remain calm and not over react.

She knew that if she became emotional that it would cloud her judgement, meaning that she wouldn't be able to help Evelyn or Chief Dooley and that was the last thing that she wanted.

"That is the prototype for a new system of armor." Jarvis informed, his eyes softened as he made eye contact with Evelyn. They were both there when Howard made the invention, both of them knew exactly was it was and the fact that it didn't work the way Howard intended.

"How do we get it off them?" Jack questioned, his hand running over his face in panic.

"I'm afraid it's not that simple. Please don't touch." Jarvis snapped as he watched Jack reach out for Evelyn. "It was intended to double as a heat source, for use in the winter months on the European front. Locking the armor ignites a self-sustaining battery."

Jack's jaw tightened, he couldn't even explain how angry he felt. Once again, Evelyn was in danger because of Howard Stark. All he wanted to do was get her out of the stupid vest and hold her in his arms and never let her go again.

"But there's always a catch to this stuff, isn't there?" Jack questioned, his tone was much lower that usual and his eyes narrowed as he spoke to Jarvis.

"It's not his fault." Evelyn whispered softly, looking between the two men.

Evelyn knew exactly what he was thinking. She knew that he blamed Howard, but since Howard wasn't there currently, he was taking out his anger on Jarvis and would continue to do so until he could see Howard again.

"I'm afraid the energy source is experimental, powerful, and incredibly flawed. It invariably overheats with rather violent results." Jarvis' voice quivered as he spoke. He couldn't imagine his life without Evelyn in, which is all he could really think about currently.

Evelyn meant a great deal to himself and Ana, she always made time to see them both and was like a daughter to them, despite he only being 7 years older than her.

"How violent?" Chief Dooley questioned.

Evelyn ran her tongue over her bottom lip. She took in a shaky breath and looked around the agents before her eyes landed on Jack. She desperately craved to be held by him, in his strong arms which brought her so much safety.

"Explosive." Evelyn whispered, her eyes filling with unshed tears.

Peggy didn't even hesitate. She felt her heart skip a few beats and her body instantly filled with panic. Her mind started to race with all the different outcomes. She looked around the agents before shouting,

"Get the scientists."