FIFTY FOUR

» [pluto projector- rex orange county] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:39
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Despite Jack saying otherwise, Evelyn went home. She couldn't stand to be in the office anymore and she didn't exactly want to go and look at the bodies in the cinema that had just been called in.

The girl instantly went upstairs to her guest bedroom and pulled out one of Bucky's old sweaters and pulled it over her head. She was engulfed by the familiar scent of cedar and musk. It was an oddly comforting smell to the girl.

"Hey Bernie." Howard spoke smoothly as he leant against the doorframe.

Evelyn tensed at the sound of the man stood behind her. She slowly turned to face him, completely consumed with anger. The brunette stormed up to Howard with her hand raised to slap the man, but before she could slap him; he caught her wrist and pulled it away from his face.

"Oh Bernie, I've been slapped by one too many girls in my life time to not expect that." Howard chuckled, releasing her hand from his grip. "What did I do this time?"

The girl let out an angered chuckle, causing Howard to furrow his brows. He'd never seen her look so angry at him, so he assumed he had seriously messed up.

"I nearly died because of one of your stupid inventions." Evelyn pushed past the man and grabbed his bicep, pulling him out of the guest room so that she could lock it.

She hated anyone going in their as it was filled with things that belonged to Bucky and Steve. She liked it the way it was and didn't want anyone to touch it. She wanted everything to remain in perfect condition.

"W-What?" Howard stuttered over his words. He hated the idea of one of his inventions hurting the girl he cared so much about. "What happened?"

"The Chief got hypnotised." Evelyn ran her tongue over her bottom lip and let go of a deep breath. "He put the Stark Heat Vest on the both of us. He didn't make it."

Howard took a step back in shock, he never intended for his inventions to hurt anyone at the SSR. They were mainly meant for good, unless they were for killing Germans. He reached out for the girl, only for her to push him away.

"For God sake Howard, what are you doing here?" Evelyn didn't want his sympathy. If it wasn't for him constantly inventing things, Chief Dooley would still be alive.

"I thought I'd come and check on my best girl." Despite being hit off by her, he still stepped forward and light pinched her chin.

Evelyn sent the man a glare, he knew that she hated when he did that because it made her feel like a child. Howard tutted and pulled the girl into his chest, thankful that she was okay and alive.

"I'm so sorry, Evelyn." Howard spoke sincerely. He wouldn't know how to cope if the reason for Evelyn's death was because of one of his inventions.

The brunette relaxed into his arms, she buried her head into the crook of his neck and allowed her tears to fall. There were only a few people that she could be completely vulnerable with and one of them were Howard. He was seemingly always there for her whenever she needed him.

"Jack kissed me." Evelyn whispered, causing Howard to let go of a booming chuckle. The girl pulled away and looked up to the man with a glare, "Wait, you could have ruined my happy ending."

"That good huh?" Howard raised his brows cockily. "Did Agent Thompson really have that much of an affect on you, Bernie?"

Evelyn scoffed and turned away from the man, shaking her head at his immaturity. She knew that it wasn't probably the right thing to do, since Howard started laughing louder.

"Oh God, couldn't you have fallen for him when Bucky was still here? Now I gotta do all the big brother shit." Howard ran his hand over his face.

"No, God, please no you don't." Evelyn span on her heel to face him.

A small smile had made its way onto her face. She loved Howard, he always seemed to make the bad situations just go away. He always managed to make her smile without any sort of reasoning behind it.

"I do. I've got to have strong words with him about how he best treat you like a proper gentlemen because you only deserve the best, Barnes." Howard pointed at her before running his hand through his hair.

"No, don't you dare even go near him." Evelyn's eyes widened at just the idea of the two men talking to one another. "You're already in enough trouble with The SSR."

Howard smirked and nodded slowly. It was true but he would come out of hiding in an instant if it meant protecting Evelyn. He'd do anything for the girl.

"You're right, okay. Well then I've got one piece of advice for you." Howard paused. "Don't do anything I would do, and definitely don't do anything I wouldn't do." Evelyn furrowed her brows at what Howard was saying. "There's a little grey area there and that's where you operate."

"Oh shut your pie hole, I can do what I want." Evelyn rolled her eyes and jumped at the sound of the loud knock on her door. "Stay here and stay quite." Howard mockingly saluted as Evelyn raced down the stairs to answer her door.

The girl swung the door open and furrowed her brows once she was met with Jack's familiar hazel eyes. Jack offered her a sympathetic smile before saying,

"I know you've gone home for the evening, but something happened and we need you to do an examination on Sousa."

"What happened? Is he okay?" Evelyn wasted no time in slipping on her shoes.

"I'll explain on the way." Jack announced and watched as she left the house. He grabbed her bicep and pulled her back slightly. "Evie?" The girl hummed in response. "I'm glad you're okay."

Evelyn nodded with a small smile, she watched as Jack leant down and connected their lips. The pair moved in sync and his grip on her waist tightened as he pulled her closer to him.

"I truly don't know what I would have done without you, darling."