ELEVEN

» [when he sees me-sara bareilles] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:02
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"I'm not gonna lie to you. You're in a bad spot." Chief Dooley muttered as he sat across from Miles, placing a carrot and a stick in front of him.

Jack stood protectively in front of Evelyn, she was in the room to assess Miles and his mental state, whilst he was just there to be the brawn. He had given the girl his blazer after he noticed the finger nail marks on her bicep.

Evelyn rested her head on Jack's bicep as she watched Miles look between the three of them. Jack uncrossed his arms and snaked one arm around Evelyn's waist, pulling her closer to him.

"We have physical evidence linking you to an act of industrial sabotage and probably treason. Plus, you kidnapped and hurt my very close friend and Therapist." Chief Dooley motioned towards Evelyn as he spoke. "With the type of charges being tossed around here, I can't see you winding up anywhere besides the electric chair."

Evelyn noticed how the man didn't even move. He kept his face emotionless and his eyes remained on Chief Dooley as he spoke. She narrowed her brows and watched as he linked his fingers together.

Her eyes flickered up and down him, that was when she noticed the way his left foot tapped the same spot on the floor. He was anxious, more than likely he was scared about dying.

"Of course. You still do have the opportunity to switch seats with someone else." The Chief continued, causing Miles to raise his head slightly, clearly interested in the idea of not having to go in the electric chair.

Jack took a small glance down at Evelyn, her tongue ran over her bottom lip as her brows were furrowed. His blazer was huge on her, practically drowned her, which he found adorable.

"You see, fighting crime is a lot like fishing with your buddies. Biggest fish wins. No offense, but you're not the biggest fish." Chief Dooley continued, causing Jack to stifle a laugh.

Evelyn looked up to the man, his hazel eyes sparkling in the low light of the interrogation room. The only reason she was allowed to sit in was to assess the man, see how he reacted to everything that he was told and then she would have to report back to Chief Dooley.

"Doesn't mean you're not plenty big enough for me to feed my bosses, but if you were to help me catch a bigger fish. Say, a grouper or a shark. I could see myself letting you off the line." Chief Dooley suggested with a small smirk.

"I don't believe you." Miles responded quickly, not missing a singular beat as he spoke.

His eyes flickered to Evelyn, causing Jack to almost instantly step in front. There was no way that he was getting off with so much of a slap on the hand when he kidnapped and hurt Evelyn.

"Well, you should. I'm in law enforcement." Chief Dooley chuckled, but even Evelyn could see through his act. "Thing is, Mr. Van Ert, we're under a bit of an accelerated time frame here." He motioned towards himself and Jack. "Lot of pressure to get this case sewn up. So this deal that I'm offering you will expire as soon as we leave the room."

Chief Dooley pointed towards Evelyn, he never let her stay in the room once he left. He didn't even let her watch through the double sided mirror. He always escorted her back to the office and told one of the agents to go and see her, just to keep her busy.

"All you have to do is point us in the direction of your employer. Just give me a name." Chief Dooley spoke slowly, so that he would understand. "Just give me a name." He repeated.

Chief Dooley slowly stood up and Evelyn knew exactly what was coming next, and truthfully, she hated it. It was Jack's turn to try to beat the information out of him.

"Don't say I didn't try to do this the easy way." He seethed, pointing towards Miles as he hovered about him.

Evelyn watched as Miles closed his eyes, probably assuming what was going to happen next. She watched as Chief Dooley grabbed the carrot from the table.

Jack opened the door and The Chief walked out, but Evelyn waited for a moment. She looked up to Jack with a heavy heart. She didn't want him to do this.

The man furrowed his brows before looking to Chief Dooley, who was stood at the end of the corridor waiting for the girl to take her back to her office, which was the usual routine.

"I'm keeping Evie with me for a moment." Jack shouted as he shut and locked the door.

He didn't know what came over him, he just didn't want her to leave his sight just yet. He felt way too protective over her for some reason. He had to keep telling himself that it was just because she knew his secrets and that there was no other reason behind it.

"Why?" Evelyn questioned with a shaky voice, she never got to stay in the room after Chief Dooley had left.

Jack caress the brunette's cheek, his eyes softening as he looked down at her. Her skin was so soft, her lips parted slightly as she looked up to him. He was calm as she closed her eyes in bliss. He couldn't help but think that she looked so at peace, despite knowing that the person, who a mere few hours ago had a knife held against her throat, was only a few feet away from her.

"He took you, didn't he?" Jack questioned, causing the girl to open her eyes and hum in response. He allowed a smirk to form on his face before he said, "Well, Doctor, me and you are going to get to the bottom of it. We're going to find out why, and we're going to do it together."