FIFTY

» [dying is a beautiful thing to do- EASHA] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:17
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn slowly walked towards The Chief's office, knocking on his door and waiting a second before entering. She held her head up high as she walked in, she offered a small smile to Chief Dooley and Ivchenko.

"Chief Dooley, Jack-I mean, Mr-Agent Thompson has asked me to stay with you." Evelyn stuttered over Jack's name, but the Chief didn't even utter a word back in response.

Her eyes flickered between the two men, wondering why The Chief had barely even acknowledged her presence let alone what she said. She pursed her lips and nodded her head before allowing herself to look up and down Ivchenko, who was cockily leant against the window.

"Hello, Doctor." Ivchenko smirked as he began to rub the ring on his finger, which Evelyn quickly caught onto.

Evelyn didn't know what came over her but she instantly swung for the man, once she knew that he was hypnotising Chief Dooley and who ever else in the office. She needed to put a stop to it. Before her fist could collide with his jaw, his hand wrapped tightly around her wrist.

"I know what you're doing. I know that you're hypnotising Chief Dooley." Evelyn winced slightly as his grip on her wrist was so tight. "You're not going to be able to do it to me too. I know your methods, and ways to prevent them from getting to me. They'll find out, everyone will find out who you are and what you've done."

"That doesn't matter to me, Doctor, soon your life will mean very little to me." The way that Ivchenko spoke was so cold and chilling.

Ivchenko looked back at Chief Dooley, who had grabbed his phone off of the hook as instructed and swung it around the side of Evelyn's head, causing her to fall unconscious.

It had been an hour or two and Evelyn's eyes slowly began to flicker open. Her head was pounding and her eyes felt so heavy. She looked around the room and slowly tried to stand up, but it was only then that she realised that she was bound to the chair and in one of Howard Starks inventions, formally known as the Stark Heat Vest.

Howard wasn't ever good with naming his inventions, hence why they all had either confusing or bland names. Although, it normally did always make Evelyn laugh whenever he would come up with a new invention.

"Doctor." Chief Dooley stood across from the brunette, he couldn't believe that he had done. He knew that this would be the end for them both. "I'm so sorry."

He ran his hand over his face, desperately wanting to stop panicking but nothing was working. His heart felt like it was going a million beats per second. He didn't know what to do.

"I hurt you, I said those awful things to you. I made you feel worthless." His bottom lip quivered. "You're like my daughter, Evelyn. I wouldn't ever want to hurt you." He was honest about every single word.

Evelyn was like a second daughter to Chief Dooley, he doted on her and always made sure that she was okay. He made sure that all the agents spoke to her with respect and didn't give her a hard time. He hired her without blinking because she had a glowing recommendation. He didn't care that all the other therapists were men, he stuck by her even before he knew her.

"It's alright, Chief." Evelyn nodded. "I understand now, everything you said, everything you've done. It wasn't you at all. It was him."

Her eyes flickered around the room in hopes of seeing Ivchenko, but she knew she wouldn't. By now he would probably be half way across New York and going by another identity. They'd never find him now.

"We're gonna die." Chief Dooley panicked. "And I'm never going to see my family again." Tears formed in his eyes and it broke Evelyn's heart to see.

"Sit down, Roger. Just close your eyes and take a deep breath." She spoke slowly, knowing that the last thing they wanted was for him to be worked up. "Think about your family, think of Loretta and your children."

Chief Dooley nodded and rested his head on the desk, closing his eyes and allowing himself to rest. The hypnosis hadn't worn off, he hadn't be able to untie Evelyn from her restraints or even take the vest off.

"Tell them that you love them, Chief." Evelyn whispered and watched as his breathing evened out and he became more relaxed. She assumed that he had been trying to fight the hypnosis from Ivchenko, but now he had allowed it to just take over.

Evelyn let out a shaky breath once the Chief had fallen unconscious. Her heart was racing but she tried to stay as calm as possible, knowing that Howard hadn't actually made the vest work for the purpose he wanted them too.

The only two people that she could think about were Jack and Bucky. She knew that Jack would probably blame himself for her untimely death as he was the one who told her to stay with Chief Dooley and Ivchenko. She was thinking about Bucky because she would finally be able to see her brother again, and that was something she wanted desperately.

She closed her eyes and allowed herself to relax and instead of fearing death, she decided to embrace it. She slowed down her breathing as much as possible, all she was truly scared of now was hurting someone in the office.

Her mind flooded with thoughts of Jack and how happy he made her in the short time that they had been spending together recently. Truthfully, ever since Bucky nobody had made her happy.

Not until Jack.

He was her source of happiness, the one who made her feel complete again. He meant the world together, and now she wasn't going to be able to tell him that.