FORTY THREE

» [i can't handle change- roar] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:29
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"Hey." Jack shouted as he saw the blonde woman towering over an unconscious Peggy. "Is that Peggy Carter?"

He received no reply from the woman, which made Sousa walk towards her and pull her back ever so slightly.

"Miss, for your own safety, stand back." Sousa warned the blonde.

"Oh, Gosh, mister, can you help? I think my friend Peggy must have fainted." Gasped Dottie as she looked between the agents and Evelyn.

Evelyn rushed over to Peggy, who was laid on the floor. She instantly felt for a pulse and relaxed once she found one. She didn't know how she would cope if Peggy had died, she couldn't lose any more family.

"Careful." Jack warned, his grip on his gun tightening as he watched Peggy for any sudden movements. He wouldn't hesitate on shooting her if it meant protecting Evelyn from harm.

"Can you help?" Dottie questioned panicked as Sousa knelt down beside Evelyn to lightly shake Peggy's limp hands.

"She's out." Sousa responded as he looked up to Jack.

"I thought I cleared that when I checked for her pulse?" Evelyn questioned almost cockily.

Jack motioned to Evelyn to come and stand behind him as he looked at Dottie sceptically. He didn't trust her, he thought that it was suspicious for her to be there hovering over the one person they were looking for.

"What happened?" Jack questioned, looking down to Evelyn.

"Oh, I don't know. I just found her like this." Dottie responded.

Evelyn narrowed her eyes at the blonde. Something wasn't quite adding up. It seemed odd that Dottie was just stood above Peggy. She wasn't knelt down beside her, checking if she was okay or not. It made Evelyn not trust a single word that came out of Dottie's mouth.

"Jack, a little help?" Sousa questioned, nothing down to Peggy.

Jack didn't hesitate on handing his gun to Evelyn, it was the one he taught her how to use, so he felt confident handing it to her. He trusted that she wouldn't injure herself or anyone else without their being a purpose.

Evelyn seemed unsure at first, she didn't exactly like the idea of guns, but nevertheless, she took it from his grip and aimed it towards Dottie rather than Peggy.

"Sit her up." Jack announced as he grabbed Peggy's arm and helped Sousa pull her up, before placing handcuffs on her.

"She's unconscious. Do we really need those?" Sousa questioned as he motioned to the handcuffs.

"Trust me. We need them." Jack spoke slowly, his voice was raspy. Which Evelyn found insanely attractive, not that it was the right moment to admit that.

She looked down at Peggy, who seemed to be extremely limp, which panicked the girl. It wasn't like Peggy to just faint, something must have happened to her and Evelyn had a strong feeling that it was something to do with Dottie, not that anyone would listen to her if she told them that.

"Oh, Gosh, I hope she's okay. Should I call an ambulance?" Dottie panicked, causing Evelyn to roll her eyes and tighten her grip on the gun.

"Evie, you can put it away now." Jack insisted as he noticed the way she pointed the gun directly at Dottie.

He furrowed his brows once he didn't get a response, so he stood up and made his way in front of her. He placed his hands over hers and slowly took the gun from her tight grip.

"Hey, Doc, it's just me." Jack whispered soothingly as he placed the gun back inside his holster.

"I don't trust her, Jackie." Evelyn looked up to the man through her lashes, making her appear a lot more innocent than she was. Jack softly smiled in response and pulled the girl in for a brief hug.

"Thank you, miss. We'll take care of it from here." Sousa insisted as Jack helped pick Peggy up.

"Grab her pocketbook." Jack motioned for Evelyn to grab her bag, which she happily did, knowing for a fact that it would contain the vial of Steve's blood. "Come on, Carter. Let's go." Jack insisted.

Jack lead the group through the lobby and towards the car. His grip on Peggy's bicep was tight but not tight enough to hurt her. He didn't like the idea of hurting a woman or even hurting anyone. It wasn't something he enjoyed doing.

Evelyn climbed into the passenger seat as Jack placed Peggy in the back of the car, beside Sousa, whilst he drove. Before starting the engine, he placed his hand over Evelyn's and gave her hand a light reassuring squeeze. Evelyn smiled in response, knowing he was only trying to comfort her.

The drive to the SSR was quite, nobody uttered a word. Peggy didn't even try to plead her innocence or explain anything. She knew that she would have to wait until she saw The Chief to do that.

"I can explain everything. All of it." Peggy spoke up as she looked towards The Chief.

The man just looked back at her blankly. He didn't bother to utter a word or even bat an eyelid at her. Instead, he allowed Jack and Sousa to drag her away into the interrogation room.

"What are you thinking, Doctor?" Chief Dooley questioned as he pulled her back for a moment.

"I think we should listen to what she has to say." Evelyn responded honestly as she rushed after Jack, Sousa and Peggy.

She watched as Chief Dooley closed the door behind them and Jack cuffed Peggy to the table. Evelyn felt awful, Peggy didn't deserve any of this and she would do everything she could to get her out of the situation.

"Sit." Jack snapped.

"This isn't necessary." Peggy shook her head, she would comply, she just wanted a chance to explain her actions.

"You put three SSR agents in the hospital today, so, yeah, it's necessary." Jack spoke up before standing back up. He made his way beside Evelyn and pulled her into the corner of the room beside him.

Evelyn tensed once she saw the photo of Peggy from Raymond's club and the sphere that held the vial of Steve's blood. She so desperately wanted to rush over to it and hold it tightly, knowing it was the only piece of Steve left that she was able to protect.

"Don't go easy on her just because she's a girl." Chief Dooley warned as he looked down at Sousa before he left the room.

"Let's get started." Sousa spoke calmly as he looked directly towards Peggy.