TWENTY SEVEN

» [sherry-the four seasons] «
0:48 ─〇───── -1:43
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Peggy had replaced the Blitzkrieg Button with ease. Evelyn pulled the bag onto her shoulder and held it tightly. She didn't know what the invention actually was, but she wasn't going to let it out of her sight until she knew for certain.

"I want to know what this is." Evelyn announced. "Both Howard and Edwin were lying to us. Howard rubbed his nose and Edwin his ear. Something isn't right about this device, Peg."

Peggy nodded in agreement, grabbing Evelyn's wrist and pulling her into a small storage room with her. The girl pulled the Blitzkrieg Button out of bag and hesitantly flicked the switch to open it up.

Evelyn screwed her eyes shut in fear that she was wrong and that something was was about to happen. Thankfully, nothing did. She watched as Peggy pulled out a small vial of what looked like blood.

"Is that blood?" Evelyn questioned softly as she peered over Peggy's shoulder.

"I think it's Steve's." Peggy whispered back as she placed the vial back inside the Blitzkrieg Button and then into the bag.

"May I?" Evelyn questioned softly, taking the bag from Peggy. It sounded stupid but it felt like she had a part of Steve and her brother back with the vial of blood.

Peggy smiled and placed her hand on Evelyn's shoulder. The girl didn't even have to say anything, she knew exactly how she felt. Peggy lead the pair out of the storage room and back into the hallway.

She panicked once she saw Sousa leaving an office and Peggy quickly pushed Evelyn inside the interrogation room. Evelyn went to pull Peggy in with her, but instead Peggy closed the door.

Jack slowly turned to see who had entered the room. He couldn't help but clench his jaw once he saw Evelyn. She was looking out of the window, causing him to furrow his brows.

"Evie." He snapped, gaining her attention. "I thought you went home?"

Evelyn looked down at the bottle of scotch in Jack's hands, causing her to lower her head. She let out a shaky breath before saying,

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to interrupt."

"Why do you work here?" Jack questioned snappily as he placed down the bin but kept the bottle of scotch in his hands.

Evelyn took a small step back, she wasn't ever use to his tone being so hostile towards her. Sure, she'd heard him talking like that to others, but never to her.

"To gatekeep your trauma, did you forget?" Evelyn questioned with a playful smile, hoping to defuse the tension.

Jack clearly wasn't impressed by her response. He didn't make an effort to laugh at her playfulness or even crack a smile. All he did was roll his eyes and scoff in response.

"You may think you know everything, Doctor. But the men, they'll never fully trust you with their secrets." She could tell Jack was drunk for the way that he was slurring his words.

Evelyn tried to dismiss what he had just said to her. She knew full well that she couldn't get everything out of the agents, but she could at least try to help them through their trauma.

"I'll always do my best to help them, regardless of that fact, Agent Thompson." Evelyn whispered softly. She hated not being able to help the agents completely, but she understood that they may still hide things from her, secrets that they hadn't shared with anyone else.

She was almost positive that Jack had a secret that he'd never told anyone and she was more than prepare for it. She knew that whatever it was, he hated himself for it.

Jack took a big gulp of the scotch, his eyes narrowing at the girl. He tutted and shook his head before saying,

"You're trying to hide something, Evie." Jack pointed at the girl. He stood from his spot on the desk, watching her carefully as he spoke.

It made Evelyn nervous, she wondered if he had seen how tightly she was holding onto the bag. She was almost positive that her knuckles had turned white. But she wasn't going to loosen her grip or let go. That was Steve's blood inside the vial. It was the only thing left that tied her to Bucky-

-to her family.

"And the only one you're fooling is you." His eyes flickered up and down her. Jack ran his tongue over his bottom lip as he walked over to her.

"And what's that, Agent Thompson?" Evelyn questioned, her voice shaking as she spoke.

Jack slowly pushed the girls hair out of her face, his thumb running along her jaw before stopping at her lips. He lightly tapped them before whispering,

"The natural order of the universe. You're a woman." Jack spoke lowly. "No man will ever consider you an equal." He slowly stepped back and at on the desk, taking another sip of his scotch. "It's sad, but it doesn't make it any less true."

Evelyn tightened her jaw and blinked back the tears that had began to form in her eyes. Every word that Jack uttered stung more and more. She really felt like she was getting somewhere with him, he was opening up to her, they were getting closer.

She liked being with him.

"Well." Evelyn cleared her throat. "Thank you for that riveting conversation, agent. Goodnight." With that, Evelyn left the interrogation room with Jack inside.

Angered, Jack threw the bottle of scotch against the wall, causing it to shatter into pieces. He ran his hand over his face, not understanding why he just said what he said.

Evelyn didn't deserve that, he knew that. She deserved to constantly smile and be treat with dignity and respect. He frustratedly wiped his eyes, hoping to stop the unshed tears from falling.

He liked the girl, he could possible even see himself falling in love with her and starting a family. But after all, he was damaged goods and he couldn't let her see that side of him. She deserved someone better than him, someone who can treat her well and make her happy.