TWENTY TWO

» [8 letters-why don't we] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:21
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn sat in her office with Jack across from her. He hadn't uttered a word since he entered, much like usual. It seemed that whenever he sat in her office he became much more closed off.

He wouldn't talk or even maintain eye contact with the girl. Evelyn can't say that she understood why, especially since they were fairly close outside of the office. She assumed that it was just the formality of him being her client.

"I don't see the point in me being in here, Evie. Someone else could use my slot. I'm not gonna talk about Krzeminski." Jack said as he rolled up his shirt sleeves and laid back on the couch.

Evelyn hummed in response. The trick with Jack was to just remain silent until he felt comfortable enough to talk on his own. He was different to the others. He thought that talking to a therapist would undermine his masculinity, not that he'd ever admit that to the brunette.

"It's not like I completely blame myself for his death." Jack lied. He felt incredibly guilty about Krzeminski death.

The brunette slowly stood up and made her way to the coffee pot on the table behind her before pouring herself a drink.

Jack was slowly becoming frustrated about the fact that she wasn't talking back to him. He always saw her with the other agents, she always talked to them. What was so different about him?

"Alright so maybe I do." Jack placed his hand over his face and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I should have been the one to take the witness."

Evelyn gripped onto the table in front of her. The thought of Jack dying made her feel sick to her stomach. She ran her hand through her hair and let out a shaky breath, attempting to remain professional.

"I mean, I'd rather it be me than him." Jack shrugged, he daren't look at the girl. He was terrified that she would be perfectly fine with the idea of him dying.

The girl made her way to sit back on her usual seat. She crossed her legs and pulled her skirt over her knee before resting her hands in her lap.

"Why did he have to die? He had a wife-a girlfriend-he had a family. Who do I have?" Jack threw his arms up frustratedly. "My father hated me, I mean the kindest words my father said to me, 'women like you drown oceans'." He motioned towards Evelyn.

He remembered when he was attempting to tell his father about the new SSR therapist, he admitted that he thought that she was pretty and probably a good catch. His father insulted him many times, saying he'd never get a smart woman or any woman for that matter.

Evelyn lowered her head slightly, trying to hide her blush as Jack looked at her. She had no idea if Jack was actually talking about her to his family, but just at the idea of it, her heart had started to race.

"My gam gam, well she's not really all here." Jack pointed to his head. His grandmother has dementia and barely even remembered the man whenever he went to visit her. "She has dementia."

The brunette smiled sympathetically, she wanted to reach out and place her hand over his comfortingly. But she knew that if she did that, Jack would stop talking and shut her out again.

"So, in conclusion, Doc, it should have been me." Jack shrugged as he sat up right and swung his legs onto the coffee table.

"You still have people who care about you, Jack." Evelyn reassured him.

Jack scoffed in response, he could have bet his life on the fact that Evelyn was going to say that. He rolled his eyes at her before daringly leaning forward and asking,

"Yeah like who?" He paused a teasing smirk forming on his face. "Like you?"

Evelyn knew exactly what he was doing. He was deflecting so that she wouldn't take mental notes on how vulnerable he had just gotten with her. He wanted to make her flustered and completely dismiss everything, but she knew better than that.

"Vernon Masters got you your job right?" Evelyn raised her brow. "He must care about you, Jackie." She used the familiar nickname that she had heard Vernon call Jack before.

"Don't call me that." He tutted. "I hate it."

"You're in my office, I can call you what I please." Evelyn reminded the man.

"He got me this job as a favour to my father, there's no other reason behind it." Truthfully, Jack saw Vernon as a second father, he was always good to him.

Evelyn hummed in response, taking a sip of her coffee and looking towards Jack as she did so. She knew him better than that. She always saw the smile that formed on his face whenever Vernon came to check up on him.

"Are you still in contact with anyone from Cornell University?" Evelyn asked curiously.

"Here and there." Jack shrugged, taking the coffee cup from her hand and taking a sip himself. He had a cocky smile on his face as he did so. He watched as she blushed once their fingers brushed against one another. "I try to stay in contact with them, I'm closest with Nick Driscoll, despite him being a complete and utter wanker, as Marge would call him."

The girl chuckled at the man, she needed to check up on Peggy. They hadn't spoken properly in a while and we're definitely overdue a conversation.

"So, Agent Thompson, what you're saying is that you do have people care about you. People who would miss you if you died. Krzeminski was a good man and a great agent, his death wasn't in vain."

"Would you miss me?" Jack asked nervously, he was scared of her answer.

Evelyn's eyes softened and she reached forward to grab Jack's hand. Her thumb ran over his knuckles soothingly as she looked up at him through her lashes.

"Of course, I'd miss you." She whispered.