THIRTY SIX

» [crossfire- stephen] «
0:48 ─〇───── -3:41
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

"Please. Please." Nikola begged as his hands gripped the bars of the cell.

"Back away." Peggy instructed before aiming her gun at the lock.

Jack pulled Evelyn behind him. His grip on his gun tightened, ready to kill anyone that even laid their eyes upon the girl in the wrong way.

"Go. Now." Jack shouted as he pulled the cell door open and motioned for Evelyn to follow the two men.

Sawyer grabbed Evelyn's bicep and pulled her in front of everyone, he would protect her with his life. Everyone of The Howling Commandos would.

Peggy kept sneaking glances back at Evelyn, who was heavily surrounded by the group. They knew that they could let her die or be taken hostage.

"Dugan, we're in the boiler room. We need an exit." Peggy spoke over the radio, as they ran through the halls.

Jack made sure to keep as close to Evelyn as possible, even ran slower just to stay beside her. Evelyn shot him an anxious look, causing him to nod at her, silently tell her that nothing would happen.

"Stay there." Jack whispered as he placed the girl behind some crates with Ivchenko and Nikola. His hand cupped her face momentarily, he could see the fear in her eyes, this wasn't anything that she was use to.

Jack crouched down next to her and aimed his gun at the people firing towards them. Evelyn closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath. Everyone that she cared for was there, in this building, she didn't want to lose anymore of them.

"Gentlemen, if you know the way out of this facility, now's the time to share it." Peggy spoke as she turned to look at Ivchenko and Nikola.

"Yeah, use your big brain and get us-" Mike shouted, only to be cut off by a bullet hitting and instantly killing him.

"Li." Jack shouted as Evelyn covered her mouth in shock.

"Above you." Peggy shouted, causing Jack to duck down slightly.

"I know what to do." Nikola spoke up as he looked across to Ivchenko.

Evelyn looked towards the man with furrowed brows, wondering what the hell his plan was and why he wasn't executing it.

"Well what are you waiting for! We're under heavy fire." Evelyn snapped pointing at him angrily. She ran her hand over her face and flinched once she heard the bullet hit the crate she was hiding behind.

Nikola grabbed Sawyer and placed a gun against his temple. Evelyn's eyes widened as she heard the man begin to speak in a foreign language. She had no clue what he was saying, she knew German but not Russian.

"What is he saying? Is it bad?" Sawyer questioned panicked. Nobody answered the man so he continued, "It's bad, isn't it?"

Jack quickly ducked behind a crate a hid his head in his knees. His heart was racing and his eyes filled with panic. He tried to take a few steady breaths but nothing seemed to be working.

"Doctor, this is not the answer." Peggy spoke whilst also aiming her guns at the man, incase he pulled the trigger on Sawyer. Nikola continued to shout in Russian. "We will not be your leverage. We will die before we are captured."

"Nikola, listen to me. I want you to focus on the sound of my voice. Are you listening, Nikola?" Ivchenko questioned as he looked up at the man.

Nikola shouted back in Russian. Evelyn desperately looked around for Jack, wondering where he was because he was no longer by her side. Honestly, she hadn't ever felt more unsafe. He was seemingly always there to protect her.

"Then listen to me. You've got one chance of getting out of here alive, and it's because of our good graces." Peggy reminded him. "You kill our friend, and you will die at our hand instantly! So you have until the count of three to put down your weapon and fall to your knees. One-"

"I am sorry, Nikola." Ivchenko cried as he shot Nikola. Evelyn gasped at the blood now gushing out onto the floor.

Sawyer limped over to the girl and pulled her into his tight embrace, covering her eyes so that she couldn't see the body. He knew that Bucky wouldn't want his sister to experience the horrors and the deaths of fighting.

"Dugan, where the hell is my exit?" Peggy shouted over the radio.

"Out of ammo." Sawyer informed the group.

Peggy looked around the room they were in and her eyes landed on Mike's ammo pack. So she shouted,

"Thompson, Li's ammo pack." Jack didn't respond. "Thompson." Once again she was met with silence. "Lieutenant."

Evelyn could tell that Jack was having a PTSD attack. He was clearly having flashbacks of his memories. The girl didn't know why, they hadn't really touched on the subject of PTSD, he only spoke about the easy things.

She looked around for Mike's ammo pack before letting go of a shaky breath. She jumped from behind the crate, grabbing Mike's ammo pack and throwing the pack to Sawyer.

Jack grabbed Evelyn's bicep, snapping out of his attack and pulling her into him. His hand cupped her face as his eyes fell down to the bullet wound on her stomach. Her whole jacket was drenched in blood.

"Oh-Am I going to die?" She questioned panicked, she hadn't even felt the bullet hit her, she still couldn't feel any pain.

"No, no." Jack shook his head, pressing his lips against her forehead, holding her as tightly as possible. "No you're not gonna die."

"Dugan, I'm about to get very cross with you." Peggy snapped over the radio, just as Dum-Dum blasted a hole through the wall.

"Wah-hoo." Dum-Dum laughed once he entered, cocking his gun as he did so.

Evelyn chuckled at the man but winced slightly, only now the pain was kicking in. Jack pressed his hands against the bullet wound, he couldn't lose her.

"Stop 'wah-hooing' and help." Peggy snapped as she looked across to Evelyn for the first time since she grabbed Mike's ammo pack. "Bollacks."

"Look at this mess. We were gone five minutes." Pinkerton shouted as he shot a few of the people shooting towards them.

"Everybody out." Peggy shouted. "Dugan, get Evelyn. She's been shot."

Dum-Dum rushed over to Evelyn, grabbed her from Jack and nodded with a clenched jaw, telling the clearly panicked man that she would be safe. Evelyn weakly looked up to Dum-Dum and whispered,

"It wasn't his fault. I can tell you're angry. But he just froze." Evelyn rested her head on Dum-Dum's chest and closed her eyes.

Jack looked down at the blood coating his hands, everything was reminding him of what he had done. He couldn't stop his heart from racing.

"Thompson, I said everybody." Peggy shouted again, but he felt like he couldn't move. "Thompson." The woman jumped across to kneel down in front of him. "Snap out of it, mate. Come on. Get your arse into gear. Evelyn needs you right now."

With the sound of her name, Jack snapped back to reality. Evelyn was his safety, the one person who made him feel like he was good. She was the one person who made him feel like he was capable of change.

"I'm up. I'm up." Jack nodded as he rushed to the truck that Evelyn was laid in. He lifted her head up and laid it against his lap, his fingers combing through her hair as tears formed in his eyes. "You're gonna be okay." He whispered softly.