THIRTEEN

» [uptown girl-billy joel] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:29
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Evelyn stood up from Jack's desk once she heard the interrogation room door open. She quickly made her way over to him, causing his eyes to widen.

"Evie, what are you still doing here?" Jack questioned as he tried to hide his bloodied and bruised hands and the broken in half stick from her.

She didn't need to see that side of him.

The girl didn't say anything, she just grabbed his hands and let out a small defeated sigh at the fact that they were covered in blood. Jack looked down at the floor, he was embarrassed that she saw him like that.

Evelyn still didn't utter a word to him, instead she just pulled him into the bathroom and turned on the faucet.

"Evie." Jack knew that she was going to attempt to clean the already dried blood of his knuckles. She didn't turn to face him, she didn't even utter a word. "Talk to me." He whispered as she grabbed his pocket square.

She ran it under the faucet and grabbed his hand again. Her eyes stung with unshed tears. She hated that he hurt people like that, even if it was to get information.

"Evelyn." The girl froze once he used her full name, it was something that she wasn't used to. He always called her 'Evie', 'Doc' or 'Doctor' but never Evelyn.

She shook her head and wiped away the blood, she didn't mean to but she allowed a singular tear to roll down her cheek. Jack instantly noticed and quickly wiped it away. He let out a heavy sigh and pulled her into his chest. He turned off the faucet, leant back against the sink and just held her in his arms.

"You didn't have to hurt him, J." Evelyn whispered into his chest, she closed her eyes as his fingers combed through her hair.

"He shouldn't have laid a finger on my best girl." Jack uttered back, he closed his eyes and rested his head on top of hers. "I'm sorry that you had to see me like that. Marge should have took you home."

Evelyn shook her head, pulling away and looking up at him. Jack cupped the girls face, his thumb running over her cheeks soothingly.

"I told her I wanted to stay." Evelyn announced, she didn't want Jack to be upset with Peggy because she wanted to remain at the SSR. "I told her I'd get someone to take me home later."

Jack nodded understandingly, he hated that she stayed and saw what he did, but also there was part of him that was glad she did. He always felt better seeing her, knowing that she wasn't alone at home with only a few body guards that Howard hired. He linked their hand and pulled her into the office where, Sousa, Krzeminski and Chief Dooley all were.

"We're gonna need a new stick." Jack announced as he threw the stick down onto the table.

Evelyn looked through the double sided mirror and saw that Miles was sat very limply on the chair. Jack noticed the girl looking towards Miles and quickly covered her eyes, pulling her into his chest to hide her view of him.

"I thought I told you to head home, Doctor." Chief Dooley spoke as he looked towards the girl.

"I'm sorry sir, I thought maybe I could have been of some assistance." Evelyn lied as Jack leant back against the wall, bringing her with him.

Chief Dooley let out a heavy sigh, she was probably right, she normally was. But he was just happy that she didn't have to watch Jack beat up Miles. His eyes flickered between the pair before saying,

"Immigration has no record of a 'Leet Brannis' ever entering the country."

"Could be an alias." Krzeminski uttered as he flickered through a few files.

Evelyn grabbed Jack's hand, she saw that his knuckles began to bruise but it wasn't anything too awful. She attempted to look across to Miles again, but Jack used his index finger and thumb to get her to look at him instead, he shook his head towards the girl before looking up at Sousa, Krzeminski and Chief Dooley saying,

"If it is, our friend in there doesn't know it. He wasn't holding anything back. We get anything on the milk-truck driver?"

"I'm on hold with Daisy Clover payroll." Sousa responded as he motioned to the phone, he send a small smile to Evelyn, who smiled back.

Jack's thumb caress Evelyn's cheek before running along her bottom lip. She knew exactly what he was doing, he was trying to distract her from the man in the next room. A part of her appreciate it.

"He didn't sound like he was the brains of the operation, anyway." Jack responded, his eyes never leaving Evelyn's bright blue ones.

He noted how much she actually looked like Bucky. The same bright blue eyes and dark brown hair. He never had the privilege of meeting Bucky, but he did always notice the small photo hung up on the wall in her office of the pair.

"More like the Krzeminski of the operation." Sousa joked causing Krzeminski to fire back and say,

"Jokes on you, peg leg. I don't even know how to drive a truck."

Evelyn stifled a laugh, causing Krzeminski to smile. The girl had a soft, angelic laugh that warmed everyone's heart. It was rare to hear her laugh so genuinely, but whenever it happened, Jack felt like the world stopped spinning.

"Driver may be a lead, but this guy Brannis is the key." Chief Dooley muttered, continuing on with the previous conversation.

"Sorry, Chief. I pressed Van Ert pretty hard in there on Howard Stark. I don't think he ever met him." Jack announced, his eyes flickering down to Evelyn's parted lips, they always looked so soft.

He wondered what they would feel like against his. He quickly shook his head at the thought, trying to dismiss it as quick as it came.

"Doesn't mean anything. Stark could have go-betweens between his go-betweens. If this guy Brannis is calling the shots on this deal, I'm telling you, he's our direct link to Stark." Chief Dooley responded.

"I got the milk-truck driver." Sousa announced as he ended the call. "Sheldon McFee, 4 Springhill Road, Cedar Grove, New Jersey."

"Hot damn. Let's go, boys." Chief Dooley said as he stood up. "Evelyn, we're taking you home."

Evelyn went to argue with the man, but she thought it was probably for the best. She looked up to Jack, wondering what he thought about it. He pulled the girl back for a moment, after the others had left and whispered,

"I'll come over later, wait up for me?"