SIX

» [can't take my eyes off you-frankie valli] «
0:48 ─〇───── -2:35
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

Jack pulled up outside of Evelyn's house. The car ride had been in complete silence once again, but this time instead of it been because they felt nervous to talk to one another, it was because of the horrors that they had seen.

They didn't have any luck at finding the person who killed Raymond and eventually they had to call it a night. Through the whole search, Jack made sure the girl stayed by his side. He wasn't going to allow her to get hurt on his watch.

He had also insisted that he dropped her off at home, despite her saying that she could simply call for a cab. Jack told her that he asked her to be his date tonight, so he should be the one dropping her back at home and seeing her inside.

Jack walked around to the passenger seat of the car once again, offering the girl a hand out of the car, which she happily took. The blonde man made sure to walk her all the way to her door, which honestly wasn't that far.

Truthfully, Evelyn half expected him to just wait in the car and drive off before she could even make it to her front door. She was very much surprised when he did the complete opposite.

The brunette unlocked her door and opened it up before stepping inside. Jack smiled down at her, knowing that this is where they departed for the evening and that he wouldn't see her until work tomorrow. He didn't want to leave her just yet, he could tell that she was upset but he also didn't want to be too forward in asking if he could stay for a while.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jack questioned, his eyes softening as he did so. He didn't want her to feel like she couldn't talk to him. After all, she always made sure everyone else was okay, but nobody ever made sure that she was okay.

"I'm fine, honestly." Evelyn lied, she had to anxiously chew on her bottom lip to prevent herself from spilling every small, minute detail of her life.

Jack took a step closer to the girl, he could tell that she was lying. He brought his hand up and cupped her cheek, causing her to close her eyes at his soft touch. His thumb lightly ran along her bottom lip.

"Don't lie to me, Doc." Jack whispered. Part of him hated that he could see straight through her. He knew that she was lying, he could tell that she wasn't okay.

He just wanted her to trust him with her secrets, like he did her, despite how long they had to sit in silence for during their sessions to get to his secrets.

"How did you stay so calm? How did yo-" Evelyn's bottom lip began to quiver as she got vivid flashbacks to Raymond's body laying on the ground.

Jack tutted and pulled the girl into his chest. He held her so tightly that he never wanted to let go. All he wanted to do was protect her from the harshness of the world.

"I thought you would have known the horrors of the war, Evie." Jack whispered into the top of her head, his fingers combing through her hair soothingly.

Evelyn just rested her head against Jack's chest and closed her eyes, enjoying the comfort that he brought her. She didn't know what it was about him that made her feel so safe, maybe it was the fact that he always did everything he could to protect her or maybe it was the way that he always tried to reassure her that everything was okay and that she was safe.

Jack didn't miss the way she clung onto his shirt tighter as he tried to pull away. He furrowed his brows at the action but gave her a small squeeze, silently saying that he wasn't going anywhere.

"Hey, J? Will you come inside for a little while?" Evelyn felt nervous as she asked. She wouldn't have been surprised if he had said no, pulled away and never spoke to her again. But she hoped that he wouldn't.

"Anything you want, Doc." Jack whispered as the girl pulled away from him, looking up to the man with hopeful eyes. He chuckled at her and locked his car door before he guided the girl inside.

Evelyn sat down on the couch beside Jack, who had made himself very much at home. He placed his feet up on the coffee table and slung his blazer over the arm of the couch. He placed his arm around the back of the couch and Evelyn found herself leaning closer to the man.

Jack smiled and allowed his hand to drop to her shoulder, pulling her closer to him. Something about the girl being so close to him, made him happy. As cliché as it might have sounded, she made him feel complete.

He pressed his lips against her temple and watched as she closed her eyes. He noticed that a small blush formed on her cheeks, only this time she made no efforts to conceal it.

"Maybe next time, we go dancing it won't be on a mission to bring down Howard Stark." Jack whispered, resting his head against hers and closing his eyes too.

The pair just remained in silence as Jack traced small patterns up and down the girls bicep. Evelyn snuggled closer to Jack, her hand resting on his chest and her legs sat on the coffee table beside his.

Jack's eyes slowly opened and he noticed the way the girls lips were parted ever so slightly and her breathing was slow. He assumed she was asleep and tried to move so he could get a throw to place over her, but she just snuggled closer to him.

His heart melted at the action, she was so soft and adorable. He wished he could stay there forever, but for now, a singular night would have to suffice.