47 | firaaq

Thank you, Yzma 😭🖤 for this

Socha Tha Ke Woh Bohat Toot Kar Chahe Ga Humein Faraz
Lekin Chaha Bhi Humne Aur Toote bhi hum

Laila slipped off her heels. The pair of night-black pumps caught her gaze on the freshly vacuumed carpet. Those faded heels flashed back at her for a second. She leaned back into the couch as a nostalgic smile found its way on her lips. The journey was long and full of surprises but here she was with a massive project under her wings. Those faded heels and the man that noticed every little thing about her. She shook her head slightly, tucking her legs under her. As she went back to mindlessly flipping through the final details the event manager sent her for the wrap-up party, He circled his desk, walking from one end of the office to another as he held the phone to his ear, immersed in a work-related argument. They had spent the entire day meticulously going over every last thing to make sure these last few events went well.

She looked up from the iPad as he pushed his hands through his hair, almost on the verge of yelling into the phone. The dress shirt, as usual, was creased at this point of the night and as per tradition, he pulled the tie knot, throwing it on his desk, while the suit jacket had ended up on the back of the couch. Again. Sleeves rolled up to the elbows as those veins had her distracted at times through the night. Oh, my holy penguins. Laila shook her head, a barely-there soft smile touched her lips. Some things just never changed.

His eyes flitted to her as he mumbled into the phone, feet coming to an abrupt halt. As if the center of the universe shifted and rested on her as he focused those dark eyes entirely on her, Laila could hardly hear what he was saying as her heart picked up speed. It had become his habit. Once his eyes found her, they never left, rendering her breathless. They stayed on her, unblinking, unmoving, she'd become the center of his world for those few seconds. Yet again, he leaned against the floor-to-ceiling- window. Those eyes were still on her as his lips moved into a heated argument.

To calm her heart, Laila broke the trance, going back to her iPad just to escape his stare. Though, it would be a miracle if she could focus while her husband watched like she was the most alluring sight he'd ever seen. There was so much they should have talked about almost a week ago when she woke up in his arms, but they both rolled off the bed leaving that night behind. Yet, she found herself in his arms again the next night, and the next, and next... The week fluttered by and both of them left their newfound comfort in that room. Her room had become a universe of its own. A place where they left the complex emotions and their realities at the door. They caressed each other's forehead, held hands in the moonlight, and they pretended as if sharing a bed was as normal as breathing. Pretended being the important word here.

"Mr. Afzal, you have taken enough of my time past the meeting and past work hours, and we seem to be reaching no middle ground." He rubbed the bridge of his nose. His eyes burned, far too dry and the lenses were now irritating him at this point. Stroking his jaw, he let out a frustrated sigh as the man on the other end continued his opposing views. He leaned back against the window, his gaze falling on his wife, catching her eyes.